a sheep that does it

New to the server or forum? Introduce yourself here.
itbarany

a sheep that does it

Post by itbarany » 11 Dec 2010, 06:34

O hai!

Well since there is a topic now, I must use it to my advantage. I'm still quite new here, (my two weeks will end in Monday I think) but I already know a few of you, thanks to Vent.

I'm 20 years old, and I live in Hungary (a country of which few people actually know of...). More precisely in the second most important city of it (after the capitol) Szeged. They call it the City of Sunshine, because the sunshine rate is the highest here, and it is also the home to the 2nd biggest University in Hungary, so it's mostly populated by young students, parties... Sunshine and happiness all around... or until exams kick in...

I study informatics (hence the IT part of my name), mostly software development.
I listen to a lot of music (I'm always "that guy" who knows the songs on the radio), watch a lot of films and movies, and play a crapton of games. I also lead quite the social life, so you can guess my grades...
I write a blog about IT and my life, and also have a "let's play"-sort of video series on youtube.

I know my language is hard as hell, so I help out where I can: I did the hungarian translation for a popular Android game (Alchemy), made almost a full season of subtitles for Eureka (and corrected a lot more) and so on... I can do these, because I went to an elementary school where they teached us almost everything in hungarian and english. Too bad that after that (in middle school and so forth) I was put together with people who just learned that the "dog is in the garden" and I forgot a lot.

I have a general way of approaching things which gets me alienated very often. People always mistake my honesty for sarcasm (or even worse) and think I meant to hurt people. I really don't.

Damn this got long, no one will read it now :lol: Oh well... If there is anything you want to ask go ahead...

And just FYI: I also pointed this out in the name topic: "bárány" is the hungarian word for "sheep", so feel free to call me sheep (and not "barney") ;)
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

Milo_Windby
Retired

Re: a sheep that does it

Post by Milo_Windby » 11 Dec 2010, 14:47

Hello Linty! (Ah, sorry... pet name for a sheep I had in a role play game XD)

I see you have a Lovecraft quote, have you read lots of his works? Also, do you like to read other things as well?
Could you also name a few movies, games, music, etc... that you like? (Could be a handful or more, I know how hard it is to tell people what you like x_x)

Random Question: Do you like you cook? If so what do you like to make? If not what do you like to eat that you did not make?

Oh, and thanks for posting an awesome intro, looks great!
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 12 Dec 2010, 11:07

Milo Windby wrote:Hello Linty! (Ah, sorry... pet name for a sheep I had in a role play game XD)
I remember :D You mentioned it in the nickname thread :D
I see you have a Lovecraft quote, have you read lots of his works?
I tried to. Sadly you can hardly find books from him. The only thing I could find was the second book in a three part collection of all his work. He was always around me, I love deadmau5 and "Cthulhu" always comes up around him, the same goes for Yahtzee, but after "Amnesia: Dark Descent" I decided I have to know what these are all about. So I reserched him (and his books) and found a couple of quotes. This one I liked for some reason.
Also, do you like to read other things as well?
Yes, I read a lot of books. Or used to anyway. Sadly nowdays I don't have the time and the proper material to do it. I always read a lot when I was a kid, I wanted to have a general knowledge of many things so that I can talk to whoever I want. The last thing I read, was a hungarian book called Vae Victis. It was about alcohol (and cooking for a hangover) and how it shaped history. It had everything in it from ancient history, Van Gogh and Absinthe, till George W. Bush and the "Prairie Octopus". It's a great read :) What I have in line write now is "The selfish gene"
Could you also name a few movies, games, music, etc... that you like? (Could be a handful or more, I know how hard it is to tell people what you like x_x)
Movies: Older ones: Gone in 60 seconds, Italian Job, Ocean's <insert number here>
Nowdays: Scott Pilgrim (I bet you saw that one Milo :) ), Inception, Grown Ups.

Music: Mostly electronic sorts. House, dance, maybe some electronica, trance, etc. Since I play drums I listen to jazz, rock, but I also listen to radios alot so that's rock, pop, so on... I wouldn't list list all DJ's: deadmau5 and swedish house mafia is the most I listen to at the moment. I realy respect Daft Punk, Justice and Röyksopp from the "older" ones, and my newest favorite is Free the Robots, whit those cool jazz sounds.

Games: Wipeout, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed all the way. I used to be a great CoD and TrackMania player, but after a bunch of competitions regular gameplay became stale for me... I hate that. Also, every time a new Lego game comes out me and a bunch of friends sit down and max it out together in one sitting. But I try out almost everything that comes out.

The reason why I listen to all kinds of music, read any kind of book, play any kind of game and watch any kind of movie is the one I mentioned above. I love to know about all the things in the world.
Random Question: Do you like you cook? If so what do you like to make? If not what do you like to eat that you did not make?
I love to. I love eating and around the time I was 10 my parents have already split up and my mom worked a lot and sometimes traveled away for a few days and I realised: "Hey dummy, if you learn to cook you can still eat great stuff when mom's not home!" I mostly cook italian food, I'm famous for my lasagne and my chillie.
Oh, and thanks for posting an awesome intro, looks great!
Thanks :) And thank you for giving us the subforum and the opportunity :)
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 12 Dec 2010, 12:11

Might be logistically expensive, but Amazon sells H.P. Lovecraft collections.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 12 Dec 2010, 16:48

*COUGH*

Oh hi. Didn't see you all there.

Talking about Lovecraft, eh? Well I happen to know this guy who has the complete works in PDF format. He compiled them himself with easy to navigate chapter lists and everything. Did you know Lovecraft's works are public domain?

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 12 Dec 2010, 17:24

SneakyPie wrote:*COUGH*

Oh hi. Didn't see you all there.

Talking about Lovecraft, eh? Well I happen to know this guy who has the complete works in PDF format. He compiled them himself with easy to navigate chapter lists and everything. Did you know Lovecraft's works are public domain?
:shock:
No, as a matter of fact I didn't... Awesome!
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"