Undone (Version 4 Quest Preview)

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Undone (Version 4 Quest Preview)

Post by SneakyPie » 08 Apr 2011, 14:55

This is a preview quest that I wrote that will give you a slight taste of how we'll be doing things in the future for Version 4. It's not as full featured as things will be, but you'll get an idea.

A knock sounds at your door, disturbing your peaceful moments of relaxation and privacy. Annoyed, you get up from your chair to answer. You open the door to find a woman. She looks as if she has not had any sleep for days.
"<Your name>?"
You nod your head.
"We've never met, but I am Charles' wife, Katherine."
You welcome her inside your home and offer her your seat. She accepts graciously. You then notice she has several pieces of paper in her hands. She holds them tightly to herself not risking any chance to lose them.
"I apologize for coming to you at this time, but under these circumstances..."
She pauses for a brief moment as if contemplating her words carefully.
"Charles is missing. He went out a few weeks ago saying he found something. He never went into too many details with me, but it clearly was important to him. He told me he would be back in one week."
She is now fighting back tears.
"At first I didn't think much of it when he didn't come back. He has been late before and I thought he was held up. But... but then Johnathan came to see me. I have never seen him so pale. Charles was keeping a correspondence with Johnathan, keeping him updated with his progress."
She gestures the papers she has towards you. You take them from her and begin with the first letter.
letter1.jpg
Interesting. A ship found on the peak of a mountain? You're not sure what to make of anything yet, but you make a mental note of the numbers written down. You'll have to make sense of those later. You continue on to the next letter.
letter2.jpg
Charles is clearly excited about his discovery, but there's nothing out of the ordinary. You flip to the next letter.
letter3.jpg
You had your doubts from the first letter, but you know Charles. He doesn't tell any tall tales and does not believe in any folklore. You find his brief description of the ship interesting and yet mysterious. How does a ship find its way to the top of a mountain?

You glance up momentarily and notice Katherine looking out your window. She is worried to near exhaustion. You proceed to the next letter.
letter4.jpg
Odd. Charles has always been level headed. Is he delirious? Perhaps he saw some kind of mirage? The air does get thin up in those mountains. Your heart briefly stops as you flip to the next letter. Red stains cover it which you believe to be blood. No wonder Katherine is as upset as she is.
letter5.jpg
He was chased by something. He didn't provide a description, but by now you're starting to think that the thin air began to affect Charles' mind. Perhaps Jonathan can help with more information. You give the letters back to Katherine and ask where to find Johnathan.
"Johnathan left two days ago to go look for Charles. Before he left he told me to come and show you the letters as well. I don't know what to think of these but I won't accept that my husband is dead. I know he is your friend and I'm asking you to help him."
You look in Katherine's eyes and see her grief. If only to help put her mind at ease you decide to try and find Charles. You show her to the door and she thanks you. You promise to come straight to her when you learn anything and she leaves. You gather what supplies you have and lock your door behind you. You're not sure if Charles is alive, but you are determined to find out what has become of him.

Locations for this quest have been built. So go out and explore for them. No spoilers in this thread, please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Re: Undone (Quest Preview)

Post by MKindy » 08 Apr 2011, 15:11

Will these be of the sort where only one person can finish? So it's more like a race to finish among the server members?

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 08 Apr 2011, 15:21

MKindy wrote:Will these be of the sort where only one person can finish? So it's more like a race to finish among the server members?
No. Everyone will have equal opportunity to complete everything we offer no matter if they're new or they're from the beginning.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Apr 2011, 01:52

methinks someone gave Blackadder the helm of that ship...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 09 Apr 2011, 17:58

Just a reminder, this is an active quest in Version 3. You all can go locate the ship.

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 09 Apr 2011, 19:40

where can u start that quest?

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 09 Apr 2011, 20:39

donkypoink wrote:where can u start that quest?
You can start it from anywhere. Just follow the clues in the letters to find the location.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 10 Apr 2011, 02:28

are we allowed to discuss the clues weve found in this thread sneaky?
Spoiler! :
No.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 10 Apr 2011, 08:17

thetruth.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 10 Apr 2011, 08:21

found the ship. :D
il take sceenies in a bit if im allowed
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 01 May 2011, 09:15

I stickied this to show newer players an example quest in regards to our future plans

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 02 May 2011, 05:53

Yeah, that was pretty good for a preview. I'm pretty stoked for Version 4 now actually because of this. I'll just have to make sure to bring more supplies next time, hehe.

Jman_503

Re: Undone (Version 4 Quest Preview)

Post by Jman_503 » 22 Jun 2011, 01:16

Found it! Will there be more of these coming up? Aside from version 4?