Offline griefing

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
Lathania
Retired

Offline griefing

Post by Lathania » 08 May 2011, 22:53

Hey all,

While this is PvP and you can do what you want within reason; I'd just like to ask that if you feel the need to explode someone's fort, do it while they're online and there. PvP means player vs player, not wait until someone is offline and nuke their stuff. That's griefing. If you want to spend a few hours rigging someones house to blow when they open a door or something, that's great! Your aim is to cause death to other players however, not to purposely anger them.

Moral of the story is, we're here to kill people, not to be mean ;)

wokka1
Server Owner

Re: Offline griefing

Post by wokka1 » 08 May 2011, 23:08

This is not a rule for PvP, but not an unreasonable request. Griefing is allowed in PvP.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 08 May 2011, 23:52

It's mean ? nah, it's PVP.

You choose the consequences of building and playing in PvP.

Online or not, the morality of your point is upon the user, we can't force it.
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 09 May 2011, 00:17

HHmmmm ill fess up to that one, we thought it was itl's fort and we had been chasing him round the map for hours (me nart, Rbk and Skunk) After we got in he had to go and we took our frustration out on the fort... twice..... Sorry lath, we had no idea you lived there.
Formal apology Aro is formally sorry.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Zehydra

Post by Zehydra » 09 May 2011, 00:21

I personally wouldn't mind the introduction of such a rule, it would allow for battles with castles and whatnot. As of right now, you can't really expect anything you build to last more than a day, thus really eliminating "Castle Battles" as a real possibility. I had to repair my castle several times before I gave up (70% had been destroyed by tnt).

But if a chaos map is what you guys were going for, that's also good too.

Lathania
Retired

Post by Lathania » 09 May 2011, 00:34

Zinrius wrote:It's mean ? nah, it's PVP.

As wokka said, this is not an unresonable request. As we are all in agreement of, it's not a rule. To be blatently honest, it's nothing but mean. Destroying someone's house while they're not even online does not add to your kill score, there are no players involved so it's not really PvP.

If you really feel the need however, go nuts. I just believe that if people keep doing it, the victims will relalitate while you're offline and PvP will become none existent, it'll just turn into the grief world.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 09 May 2011, 00:37

Lathania wrote:
Zinrius wrote:It's mean ? nah, it's PVP.

As wokka said, this is not an unresonable request. As we are all in agreement of, it's not a rule. To be blatently honest, it's nothing but mean. Destroying someone's house while they're not even online does not add to your kill score, there are no players involved so it's not really PvP.

If you really feel the need however, go nuts. I just believe that if people keep doing it, the victims will relalitate while you're offline and PvP will become none existent, it'll just turn into the grief world.
PVP is quite raw at the moment, hopefully things will pick up with all the neato PVP pluggins out there.

Definitely not going to mention the pluggins though. You should know.

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 09 May 2011, 01:21

I only accidental blew up bob's base. Which I am a member of. TNT trap at door -_-

random980

Post by random980 » 09 May 2011, 02:30

we have an empty path for a non-created yet world at the hub dont we?
Why not a have castles/sieges, planned dueling and stuff? (online PvP)
AND have a extreme PvP/grief server where its just you VS the world, online or not? (greif server/offline PvP)
This could stop potential tantrums among players when a set event with friends is ruined by a single person greifing everything.
having a PVP and a Greif server separate would be cool. and if we make a greif server, hide mega objects through out the map for us to find and destroy. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Lathania
Retired

Post by Lathania » 09 May 2011, 07:18

We're not having a grief server.

Zehydra

Post by Zehydra » 09 May 2011, 11:46

Well a grief server is what you have, like it or not. It is the inevitable consequence of allowing griefing on a map. I've seen this happen time and time again.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 09 May 2011, 13:28

Zehydra wrote:Well a grief server is what you have, like it or not. It is the inevitable consequence of allowing griefing on a map. I've seen this happen time and time again.
Quoted for Truth, This is a Pure PvP Map on Minecraft where the rules state... well... there is no rules to begin with on Minecraft, do what you want the way you want to.
We will not be able to prevent any so called "Griefing" and even then there is a chance that we will be called over to a "Griefing" and be told by someone that his "Base" was destroyed while he was "Offline".
How will we know he really was offline and just bugged off when the fighting happened?
If we have to deal with griefing on the pvp map we will be taken away from our real jobs and not be able to help others who really need it... hence why the whole idea for this was anything goes and tough luck that your base is gone son, deal with it.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 09 May 2011, 16:46

Mates... why the blazes would you build something either close or visible to players if you don't want them to destroy it ?

Build underground! and build far!

Problem solved.

Lathania
Retired

Post by Lathania » 09 May 2011, 23:30

I'm going to say this once more and lock this topic, read carefully as you haven't so far.

This was a request for the true spirit of PvP to be taken into account. PvP means PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER, if you want to keep the PvP server running, we need to maintain a general interest in it.

The best way to achieve this, is to keep PvP to a maximum, and PURPOSELY "offline griefing" to a minimum.

No comments or opinions are wanted or needed, the request was made. Take it into consideration as it's best for the future of PvP.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 12 May 2011, 10:48

I'm going to reply to this.

At this time there will be no amendments to the PvP rules. You build at your own risk.