Slime Farm

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
makkaal

Slime Farm

Post by makkaal » 08 Jul 2011, 05:21

(Updated version)

Hey guys,
so, the other day I stumbled across the following video of a slime farm:

http://youtu.be/DwJUpLc6GME
(Docm77's "High Efficiency Slime Trap/Farm)

Also, this:
http://youtu.be/iuLmlKpACXk
(777static777's "Slime Trap Tutorial - How to farm slimes for slimeballs")

Since we're going to need slime in general for sticky pistons (and I'm sure there'll be a lot
of demand when they go online), I thought this would be a nice idea.

(Update)
I asked about looking up spawn-friendly spots for us. That request was denied. So we're off to do the work manually.

My suggestion still stands: We can use my mine west of the second stop on the Fyran south rail.

When you get out of the cart at the second stop, turn right/West and follow the cobble road, keeping southwest around the promontory. It's the first one at the lake shore with said tree farm and a rudimentary cobble wall with a gate. The entrance is beneath a 3x3 stem tree.

As I said, I already have a strip mine there so it shouldn't be THAT much of an effort to clean things out. There's some space to the south, so we should find a few spawnpoints.

A few things:
1. I cannot compensate you for your work as I am ungodly poor. You can, however, keep whatever you find.
2. This also means I cannot guarantee to provide you with tools. I will sacrifice some iron, though.
3. As I am known for, I will also establish a donation box for sand, glass, wood, wool and cactus/lime green and gray dyes (wool/dyes for the slime pixel art I'd like to make on the surface).
4. You are free to help yourself to wood and wheat from my farms, as long as you remember to replant.
5. Please watch the first video (by docm77) to see what I'm going for. I want to use his design, minus the pistons of course.

Hope to see you there soon!
Last edited by makkaal on 09 Jul 2011, 06:06, edited 2 times in total.
"Wollt ihr 'n Hut? Nur Mut, 'n Hut tut gut!"

vallorn

Re: Slime Farm

Post by vallorn » 08 Jul 2011, 09:28

i can build one. they need a bit more space than they occypy to spawn into.

i assume you want me to set it up with Arrow Dispensors or something? :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 08 Jul 2011, 11:43

Hmm... They don't just spawn in open space near bedrock?

Cuz I have no problem finding them in my mine.
--Tulonsae

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 08 Jul 2011, 11:53

Tulonsae wrote:Hmm... They don't just spawn in open space near bedrock?

then there is enough space for them. and why mine at those depths?
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

makkaal

Post by makkaal » 08 Jul 2011, 11:58

vallorn wrote:i can build one. they need a bit more space than they occypy to spawn into.

i assume you want me to set it up with Arrow Dispensors or something? :)
Not necessary, as it seems. None of the tutorials/examples I've seen so far use dispensers at all. In almost every case, they let them drown so they split, and then have them travel upwards on ladders. See the video by docm77.
vallorn wrote:

Yes, they only do spawn near bedrock, up until layer 16. Also, as I said in the OP, they have "spawn-friendly" spots. YT user Etho of EthosLab mentioned this.
So in return this means that you need more than some large space near bedrock, you actually need to make these rooms around the slime spawning area to make it efficient.
This is where wokka (possibly) could come in and give us a few of those spots, using the page above.

I'd love him to comment on this, but if that doesn't work, I'll assume we should just go ahead and make a big-ass spawner somewhere in Fyra. I have a plot near the second stop of the southern rails. I've cleared up a little bit already near bedrock by stripmining underneath that lake and I've pretty much abandoned the place. We could just tear that down. And build a huge slime made of wool on top.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 08 Jul 2011, 13:12

vallorn wrote:

Uh, cuz I found resources - like iron and diamonds and gold. I also have pools of lava attractively arranged next to my sugarcane and cactus down there and pond that I found.
--Tulonsae

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 08 Jul 2011, 13:21

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Slimes#Slime_Spawning

There are specific chunks they spawn in.

makkaal

Post by makkaal » 08 Jul 2011, 13:48

Aenir_bEPU wrote:http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Slimes#Slime_Spawning

Thank you. This is why we need to figure out the slime spawnpoints to make the farm efficient.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 08 Jul 2011, 14:25

Aenir_bEPU wrote:http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Slimes#Slime_Spawning

I guess I got lucky.
--Tulonsae

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 08 Jul 2011, 15:20

so thats why some of V88 is infested and some isnt. good to know! :twisted:
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jman_503

Post by Jman_503 » 09 Jul 2011, 01:17

If it's fine with you makkal, I would greatly appreciate partaking in this farm

makkaal

Post by makkaal » 09 Jul 2011, 05:59

Definitely.

So, here's a few updates from last night.

I asked wokka about that favor on looking up the spawn-friendly spots for us. However, he denied that request, hinting at the troubles we already had in IC and he didn't see a point in searching for extra spots when a few slime spawns were already known. While I believe that those known spawns in IC are rather useless to our cause since the space is probably going to be needed later on, I accepted his denial.

So, it's all up to us, I'd say.

My suggestion still stands: We can use my mine west of the second stop on the Fyran south rail. It's mostly abandoned anyway and easily turned into a mining outpost. I have a tree and a wheat farm there as well.
As I said, I already have a strip mine there so it shouldn't be THAT much of an effort to clean things out. I don't know whether any slimes spawn down there, unfortunately, because none of my rooms there are big enough. However, there is quite a lot of room to the south because of the large lake there, and since a spawn-friendly block is just 15x15 (or 16x16, depending on where you look it up), we should find a few.

When you get out of the cart at the second stop, turn right/West and follow the cobble road, keeping southwest around the promontory. It's the first one at the lake shore with said tree farm and a rudimentary cobble wall with a gate. The entrance is beneath a 3x3 stem tree.
Next time I get online I'll prepare it for work.

A few things:
1. I cannot compensate you for your work as I am ungodly poor. You can, however, keep whatever you find.
2. This also means I cannot guarantee to provide you with tools. I will sacrifice some iron, though.
3. As I am known for, I will also establish a donation box for sand, glass, wood, wool and cactus/lime green and gray dyes (wool/dyes for the slime pixel art I'd like to make on the surface).
4. You are free to help yourself to wood and wheat from my farms, as long as you remember to replant.
5. Please watch the first video, by docm77, in the opening post to see what I'm going for. I want to use his design, minus the pistons of course.

Hope to see you there soon!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Jul 2011, 07:24

Makk il donate a half stack of Iron blocks to this project for you to distribute amongst helpers. :)

i may also throw in a few Gold Picks to help you clear away the stones. ;)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jman_503

Post by Jman_503 » 09 Jul 2011, 09:53

I have 4 stacks Of iron I would be willing to give up to the cause

makkaal

Post by makkaal » 09 Jul 2011, 11:24

Very nice. Thanks for the offers, guys. You'll find the box on the outside of the mine.

So, here's the deal:

I will start with carving out the borders of the actual spawning pads. This way, should anyone decide to come down and help, you'll know what to remove. If you do, please remember to put a torch on every 5th block.
When that's done, next item will be the trenches, including the slime drowning area.
An observation room is to follow, and I'll try my best to figure out if it works at all or if we have to make the whole thing bigger.
From then on it should be a piece of cake to place enough ladders for the small slimes to climb and lead them to their deaths.