Helping out new players.

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
ModernRebel

Helping out new players.

Post by ModernRebel » 10 Jul 2011, 22:51

What I'm thinking here is, why don't we all try to help out new players more than we already do? When we think about it, Mods/Mentors/Ops/Admins and of course SneakyPie have a lot on their plate. We should be there so we can make their work a little bit less stressful. Recently I've been in HUB and also going to Tut Spawn and helping players through both Tut and then i also assign them a world they might like based on what they are looking for. I also show them a small "sneak peek" of the world by taking them on pretty much a small tour.

What is my point?

Let's have others do this and make everyone's lives easier and have this server running as smoothly as ever!

ModernRebel

P.S. Showing the new players around and having them understand the Server with ease also gets them more encouraged to play and most likely keeps them happy on Escapecraft.

Jman_503

Re: Helping out new players.

Post by Jman_503 » 10 Jul 2011, 23:37

This is kind of the mentors job. And by saying the mentors have a lot on their plate. It's this stuff. But I really do appreciate the help. I'm sure all of the mentors+ do. Also don't help them through the tutorial... They need to do it for themselves

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 10 Jul 2011, 23:46

By all means, feel free to help, but it might be difficult to communicate with the people who haven't left newbie chat.

And as Jman said, the very -purpose- of mentors is to help the newbies.

Jman_503

Post by Jman_503 » 11 Jul 2011, 00:42

Besides the point good job Modern! And keep up the hard work

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 11 Jul 2011, 00:53

Regular players are more than welcome to help. They can see the help channel, the local channel, and the global channel (for those new players who move there quickly).

In particular, I think the local channel is efficient for meeting with and guiding new players since the older player is nearby. Mentors can be an excellent go-between in teaching the new players to use local chat when they see players and want to talk to them.

I'm seeing a lot of new players thinking the older players are rude because the new player says hi to a local person, but is in new channel. And of course the other player doesn't hear it.

I've noticed some of the mentors mentioning the global channel at the end of their help/intro session with new players. And, although that is certainly good, I think telling them to move to the local channel when talking to players they see is very important.

While mentors are great, we also want a strong community to grow up naturally between all ranks of players. And my personal opinion is that mentors play a key role in helping a new person get settled which the regular players play a key role in retaining the new players. (Mentors have other roles as well.)

Edit: Also, regular players. If you're saying hi and you think the person is new and they seem to be ignoring you - you can always say something like "If you're talking to me, I can't hear anything you say in the new channel. Type /ch l to talk to me."

[The above is my personal opinion and may not reflect the thoughts of the Escapecraft staff.]
--Tulonsae

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 11 Jul 2011, 02:11

By all means Rebel, how do you think we pick mentors for the job :)

Not everyone is cut out for it, but if you do want to help, it is greatly appreciated.

ModernRebel

Post by ModernRebel » 11 Jul 2011, 18:17

wokka1 wrote:By all means Rebel, how do you think we pick mentors for the job :)

Not everyone is cut out for it, but if you do want to help, it is greatly appreciated.
Right, thanks for the feedback, and about the tut help, it's just when they get truly stuck, it happened to like 2 people, i know what you're thinking, how is that possible :P.

Also, keep up the job Mentors and everyone else! you guys keep the server running!