Mcwierdo's Talv Project

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Mcwierdo's Talv Project

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 04:49

I hope this is the right forum for this. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

I got the urge to build a giant chess board one night, and I couldn't sleep, because I was thinking about it. Here it is.

The Talv Project.

That link takes you to a bunch pictures and measurements of chess pieces. If you are a member of our shared Dropbox folder, then you already have them saved on your computer.

I originally wanted to build only a giant chess board with those pieces, but then I started thinking bigger.
What if we built that chess board according to the specifications in the Dropbox, and then built two immense players for it! They could have chairs carved out of mountains! And the players could be Notch and someone from Bethesda chessing away over Scrolls! If we built something like this, Escapecraft would become world famous in the Minecraft community.

What do all think? Can it be done? Mods, is there enough room for something like this?

I need someone to draw the blueprints. I can manage stick figures at best.
I would like the chess pieces to be big enough to look somewhat round and smooth. And then the statues have to be big enough to be able to play with the pieces.

Oh, and Milo showed me the giant chess board that wokka built on the Creative map.
It's on now, wokka. It. Is. ON.
Last edited by Mcwierdo on 23 Nov 2020, 04:16, edited 9 times in total.

vallorn

Re: Mcwierdo's Talv Project

Post by vallorn » 12 Sep 2011, 05:18

sitting player statues would be hard as all hell to make but give me some time to think about it.

the problem is that i would need to either add pixels to the kneecap or remove them from the back of the knee and im not sure how to do that without breaking the look of the statues...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 05:21

I would just be really glad if you would consider it!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 12 Sep 2011, 05:40

il take a look at Notch's skin and see where i could add/remove pixels.

easiest thing to do would be to strech the pixels on the knee by 1 verticaly but the visual effect of that would be awfull, next would be altering the pattern of the knee but that would require precision and a good eye for that kind of stuff...

EDIT FOR GREAT JUSTICE: i found a MC Skin Viewer that can show people in multiple poses. this will be awesome and i strongly suggest anyone working on the statues uses this program. :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 06:04

Awesome find!

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 12 Sep 2011, 07:12

Somewhere free to build this?

Best bet is to have a look at the maps http://www.escapecraft.net/maps.php <-- Just click creative to view the creative map.

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 07:35

Tehbeard wrote:Somewhere free to build this?

Best bet is to have a look at the maps http://www.escapecraft.net/maps.php <-- Just click creative to view the creative map.
Oh, I thought the maps weren't working. They didn't work last week, for me at least.

Is it possible to build in a survival map? Creative doesn't have the necessary terrain for the carved chairs. And you can't dig down to get more room.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 12 Sep 2011, 07:59

Wokka made the outer edges of Creative proper terain for things like this that need it. head out on (for example) the North Rail Line to the end and you hit a giant cliff face. up that is the Terrain Build Area. :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 08:00

vallorn wrote:Wokka made the outer edges of Creative proper terain for things like this that need it. head out on (for example) the North Rail Line to the end and you hit a giant cliff face. up that is the Terrain Build Area. :)
I didn't notice that! I'm gonna have a look right away!

How high is the ceiling, anyway? Need to know how much I have to work with.

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 08:14

The area around here looks nice. But, I can't tell if it's mountainous. I'm gonna check when the server is back up.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 12 Sep 2011, 08:18

Mcwierdo nothing personal but that last post would have been better to do with the glory of our EDIT button...

yeah that area looks good to me as well. :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 08:22

Right. Sorry about that.

Posters should totally be able to delete their own posts.

EDIT: Now there's a delete button on this post, but not the one above. I'm confused.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 12 Sep 2011, 08:58

Mcwierdo wrote:Right. Sorry about that.

Posters should totally be able to delete their own posts.

EDIT: Now there's a delete button on this post, but not the one above. I'm confused.
You can't delete posts if someone has posted after it. For instance, your button should be gone now.

Mcwierdo
Site Contributor

Post by Mcwierdo » 12 Sep 2011, 09:07

Oh, so that's how it is.

Anyway, I think I found a location. It's a nice valley at co-ordinates +1472, +1122 in the Creative world.