Wiki Renovation. WE WANT YOU!

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
vallorn

Wiki Renovation. WE WANT YOU!

Post by vallorn » 07 Nov 2011, 17:41

by now im assuming very few of you have ever used the wiki. after a happy few months of use after its release it seems to have died.

therefore i have decided that it needs a spruce up. i need people to give articles a quick skim over for spelling and grammar (to edit you have to have a wikispaces account and get it registered).

the more important thing though is to get articles full of things that are useful. Cauldron Recipes, Bridge and Door tips and that kind of thing are awesome for new players and older ones who forget.

all in all GET IN THERE FELLAS! :D

people that are extra helpful might get me buying em Kits and Royalty as a thank you... ;)

(PS: the link to the wiki is on the front page)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Sti_Jo_Lew

Re: Wiki Renovation. WE WANT YOU!

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 07 Nov 2011, 18:26

I might help out if I have some free time.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 07 Nov 2011, 19:11

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:I might help out if I have some free time.
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

Post by 697134002 » 07 Nov 2011, 19:13

Forgot my wikispaces password, but Jagorrax's name in the Corinth article is misspelled.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 07 Nov 2011, 22:59

I could take a stab at a couple of topics. Just waiting to approved for edits.
Which leads to this:

random980

Post by random980 » 08 Nov 2011, 00:17

andy25100 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 08 Nov 2011, 18:53

random980 wrote:
andy25100 wrote:

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 08 Nov 2011, 19:34

thanks so much for all the offers guys :D

here hoping it turns out well! :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 08 Nov 2011, 19:37

Offers?

"I might help out if I have some free time" is the most committal thing I've ever heard. /sarcasm

And no offence, but it's for spelling and grammar. I'd hate to have to sweep through myself after the supposed proof-readers fail to do so, but I can see it happening.

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 08 Nov 2011, 20:33

andy25100 wrote:
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."

Dnlvickers5
Site Contributor

Post by Dnlvickers5 » 08 Nov 2011, 20:34

I am gonna add an address here for those to lazy to go the front page. (and good idea on reviving the wiki vall)
http://escapecraft.wikispaces.com/
"All is fair in love and war.... this just so happens to be one of those two situations."

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 08 Nov 2011, 22:57

Just to reiterate:

In order to help here, you need to meet the following criteria:
a) Have at least decent grammar
b) Know how to spell things
c) Actually know what you're talking about

So, yeah.

Post by 697134002 » 08 Nov 2011, 23:37

What would qualify as decent grammar for the Wiki? And would not good vocabulary be welcomed as well? Not insofar as to confuse the reader, but enough to make it emanate a proverbial glow of competence.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 08 Nov 2011, 23:48

Something that looks presentable would do nicely. That also doesn't mean you should pull out all the stops and make your writing so flowery as to actually seriously use the phrase "emanate a proverbial glow of competence" somewhere.

Here is something all aspiring users of the English language in any way, shape or form, will benefit from learning: complex vocabulary and the usage of it does not equal intelligence, insight, maturity, or professionalism. Whilst using monosyllabic words is not inherently bad, it is very easy to tell the difference between a professional who knows his stuff, and a teenager thumbing through a thesaurus in order to prove how much more intelligent he is than his peers.

So don't rework the articles to look like The Eye of Argon please. If a word isn't correct change it to a word that works, not just change "he thought about it" to "that human who did indeed possess diametrically pointed chromosomes ruminated fixedly upon the esoteric subject with which he had been given the bounteous honour of conveying his deeper processes of pontification toward".

Because in the end, it generally just makes you look like a twat, and I shall be editing back anything in the wiki that gets changed to look like that, excepting of course justifiable context.

Post by 697134002 » 08 Nov 2011, 23:57

Hence why I said, and I quote:
697134002 wrote:Not insofar as to confuse the reader
Although I now realize most people don't know what insofar means or can't tell from context.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Nov 2011, 00:06

697134002 wrote:Although I now realize most people don't know what insofar means or can't tell from context.
I could certainly tell, but following up "let's not confuse the reader" with "emanate a proverbial glow of competence" seems to suggest that some see "good" vocabulary as something that requires complexity. I would rather anyone reading this thread realises that flowering up the wiki is counter-productive.

ziggylord

Post by ziggylord » 09 Nov 2011, 02:16

i think ill have a go at improving the USSR page.. as it is about 3 lines :/ also if anyone wants there town/faction/ whatever please tell me as im at mums all week which means no minecraft D: and my girlfriend just got WoW so i doubt ill be seeing her much...

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Nov 2011, 02:28

On the other end of the spectrum of good English however... is this.

What are the faults here? Let us see.
ziggylord wrote:i think ill have a go at improving the USSR page.. as it is about 3 lines :/ also if anyone wants there town/faction/ whatever please tell me as im at mums all week which means no minecraft D: and my girlfriend just got WoW so i doubt ill be seeing her much...
  • No capitalisation of "I".
  • No capitalisation of things like "Mum" or "Minecraft".
  • No apostrophes signifying compounded words like "I'll".
  • No apostrophes signifying the singular possessive, like "Mum's".
  • No signifying of new sentences via full stops.
  • No capitalisation of words at possible new sentences.
  • Usage of "there" instead of the correct "their".
Another thing for aspiring users of the English language to learn is that there's a right time and a wrong time to jump on someone for the mistakes they make.

Wrong time: Informal discussion where it doesn't matter.
Right time: When the person you jumped on says they're going to write an article that's supposed to look presentable.

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 09 Nov 2011, 02:29

random980 wrote:
andy25100 wrote:

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 09 Nov 2011, 05:25

I suppose I'll help out. I'll try to refrain from writing any... well, any fictional stuff (see the page on me to see what I mean). Now... to the editing-mobile!
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

random980

Post by random980 » 09 Nov 2011, 06:45

A few things.
1. Are we going to delete pages that are a copy/redirection of other pages?
2. Whats the rule with topics starting with 'The?' Are we going to call a topics "The Brad Excuse" or "Brad Excuse, The?" (We seem to have both)
3. What topics classify as being worthy of a wiki page? Pages like 'Co-ordinates' seem to be rather useless. Also what would classify an 'OK' to make a page about another user? We dont need a page about every person who has ever joined.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Nov 2011, 07:03

random980 wrote:A few things.
2. Whats the rule with topics starting with 'The?' Are we going to call a topics "The Brad Excuse" or "Brad Excuse, The?" (We seem to have both)
3. What topics classify as being worthy of a wiki page? Pages like 'Co-ordinates' seem to be rather useless. Also what would classify an 'OK' to make a page about another user? We dont need a page about every person who has ever joined.
1. only if you think its necessary
2. i think we should have them as "The X" not "X, The". the second one never made sense to me.
3. coordinates for things should be fleshed out into their full articles. in fact most coordinates probably need updating from the Flush changes.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Post by 697134002 » 09 Nov 2011, 08:53

vallorn wrote:
random980 wrote:A few things.
1. only if you think its necessary
2. i think we should have them as "The X" not "X, The". the second one never made sense to me.
3. coordinates for things should be fleshed out into their full articles. in fact most coordinates probably need updating from the Flush changes.

"X, The" is useful because, in an alphabetical order, you can find the topic by looking around the first letter of X rather than T.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 09 Nov 2011, 09:29

Yes, the "X, The" method has always been used for de-cluttering the T section of anything, usually tables of contents or wikis like ours. It's also the standard when it comes to grammar, last time I checked. So I think we should use it as opposed to "The X".

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 09 Nov 2011, 10:19

As the creator and primary caretaker of the wiki, I feel I should clear some stuff up.

Yes, we're using the 'X, The' method of sorting articles. Any pages titled 'The X' are only there because I haven't gotten around to renaming them yet.

There are plenty of redundant pages that never saw proper use, such as the 'co-ordinates' page, which was intended to be a database of location information (yes, that rhymes, deal with it) - as well as lots of subjects that could be merged into more substantial articles, such as the Craftbook/Falsebook topics.

It's true the wiki certainly needs tidying up, as it's been almost completely abandoned for months. I'll go through and rename/merge/delete some pages, and put up some templates for common topics (towns, landmarks) for editors to use.