Easy mode, Hard mode, lets do it!

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.

What should the server's difficulty be?

Easy (this is what we're on)
23%
Normal
61%
Hard
15%

Total votes: 158

wokka1
Server Owner

Re: Easy mode, Hard mode, lets do it!

Post by wokka1 » 28 Mar 2012, 00:40

Moving hub won't change anything. Yes, we do cater to all types, but first and foremost, we are a survival server, 95% of the players are always in survival.

Details are not final, but changes are incoming, and in the long term, it will be better for our server and our community.

Over the last year, we've added a lot of functionality, things like /gs used to not be here, warping between worlds, minecart rail systems. We've made it too easy to survive and taken some of the challenge away. We will be adding more content while going back to our roots to some extent.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 28 Mar 2012, 02:15

@random

We do have a starter kit for new players that has decent food in it. Plus there is food readily available at the Borjan spawn and the new player area.
--Tulonsae

SirDoom
Team Enigma

Post by SirDoom » 28 Mar 2012, 02:44

That's just it though. I started playing on the server in ver3. At the time, there were no major rails, no warping between worlds, nothing. Because there didn't need to be. There were no worlds to warp to, and since everyone lived on the ver3 map, no real reason to need rails. You had your main building area, then maybe a small plot in Corinth, but for the most part you stayed put. For those who wanted to travel between cities, small rail networks were built. But for the most part, you didn't need them. I certainly didn't use them, in any case.

Now look at it. The amount of land to traverse has grown a great deal. As has the distance between any two points. The rails and warping between worlds aren't making it too easy to travel, they are just there to ensure you don't spend ages just walking between two points, a problem that wasn't nearly as big as it is now back when there was just ver3. (Can you imagine how long it would take to walk from any given point in Terra to any given point in Fyra, then to any other world, all without using any form of rail/fast travel? It would be a nightmare.

Now, I haven't been to Borjan yet, but I have seen the map. The rail system there seems to cover a huge area, and should make getting around easy. But not everyone lives on that map. For those who still have claims in Terra or any of the older maps, you'd be removing the single method which makes getting to and from their homes to anywhere else in a timely manner even remotely possible. Until more info on the new "faster than minecart" travel comes up, I just can't get behind the idea of losing the /gs command.

eggster
Scrambled

Post by eggster » 28 Mar 2012, 09:35

I voted for normal mode. Hard mode would be fun for some players (personally I think it would be fun to see zombies breaking down doors), but I think it would ultimately endup turning away too many players.

Not having access to /gs and /spawn commands would make the world a little more of a challenge to travel, but it would not be impossible. If the server's goal is to stick to vanila survial mode, these commands should not exist by default.
Last edited by eggster on 28 Mar 2012, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 28 Mar 2012, 09:36

Wouldn't there also be a problem for those who go dragon hunting in the end, and they want to get out of there sharpish, or don't want to watch whatever credits that are brought up?

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 28 Mar 2012, 10:47

well ... The End is designed to only let you out by killing the Dragon.

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 28 Mar 2012, 15:23

there are about 5 at a time in some of the portals

Post by 697134002 » 28 Mar 2012, 15:26

mydrox wrote:well ... The End is designed to only let you out by killing the Dragon.
But what if someone goes to the End and the dragon is dead?
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 28 Mar 2012, 15:50

I say we go for Hardcore Mode! XD
Seriously though -
As much as I would like Hard, I'm gonna vote for normal. Too many people would join the server, die of hunger, and quit.
That, and zombies can break doors down. :S

As for spawn, part of me thinks it's a good idea. As Wokka said, it'll put a lot more focus on the cities.
In fact, if we had hard difficulty, it'd put even more focus on the cities. They'd be a supply of trading for food and a safe haven in the night.
I take it back. I'm voting for hard. :D
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 28 Mar 2012, 17:14

But even if hard put focus on cities because of food, there will still be the new players who, like you said, quit cause they die soon after coming to the server. Even with cities as food supplies, it could be a while before the mew player found one, and i would definately be ticked if i died from starvation soon after coming to a new server
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 28 Mar 2012, 18:16

Well, we do have the food in the starter kit for new players. Plus, they can always go to the guest city area and kill the pigs there for food.

So, I think they can last till they get settled.
--Tulonsae

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 28 Mar 2012, 18:58

SirDoom wrote:(and the already dead ones would never be seen again, because let's face it, who wants to walk all the way to Borderpost to look around when you'll just have to walk all the way back afterward?)
My town is not dead... :cry:

SirDoom
Team Enigma

Post by SirDoom » 28 Mar 2012, 19:11

Godavari wrote:
SirDoom wrote:(and the already dead ones would never be seen again, because let's face it, who wants to walk all the way to Borderpost to look around when you'll just have to walk all the way back afterward?)
My town is not dead... :cry:
Er... didn't mean to specify your town in particular as dead. I'm talking mainly about Terra towns in general. I can't tell you the last time I've seen more than one person other than myself in Corinth at any given time. I just assumed since Borderpost is *waaaaay* out there, it would be even less populated at any given moment. The whole "use cities as trade centers" thing doesn't really work if there is never more than one or two people in the city at any given time. It just seems to me that the lack of a /gs will drive even more people out of Terra and into the new maps with cities right on the rails.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 28 Mar 2012, 19:16

It's fine, man. I'm just messin' with you. I don't even visit my town anymore.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 28 Mar 2012, 22:46

I must admit, using cities as trade centers would help frost greatly, and tulon u make a very good point. However, im still sticking with normal cause it adds just enough danger for me while allowing me to build and not become a farmer (tried that once, didnt work so well thanks to pleasant greifers)
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

chandlerprice100

Post by chandlerprice100 » 28 Mar 2012, 23:09

I think normal mode would be a good thing, but I don't want zombies breaking in doors. As for /gs and /spawn, I, like the rest, don't want to travel long distances. Please keep /gs or something similar.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 29 Mar 2012, 01:38

chandlerprice100 wrote:I think normal mode would be a good thing, but I don't want zombies breaking in doors. As for /gs and /spawn, I, like the rest, don't want to travel long distances. Please keep /gs or something similar.
Zombies breaking in doors is Hard mode, not normal mode.
--Tulonsae

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 29 Mar 2012, 13:45

Putting focus on cities kind of worries me. I don't live in cities due to the limitations in building, so while it may be a good thing for some, I'd have a lot more trouble conducting trades. On the other hand, having players opt to build in cities could prevent me from getting crowded in, which is the reason I left all of my previous places other than the skylands one.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 29 Mar 2012, 14:30

We aren't necessarily wanting people to go build in cities, but that is an option. We have a few new things that cities will be getting soon that will entice you to at least travel to a city for your needs, including trading.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 29 Mar 2012, 14:35

Ok then, I'll have to figure what city is closest to me. The only one I know of near me is LL.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 29 Mar 2012, 14:36

We'll have a way for that to happen automagically, be patient for new announcements :)

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 29 Mar 2012, 14:39

:o now you get me intrigued.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 29 Mar 2012, 14:41

Good :)

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Mar 2012, 15:46

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Ok then, I'll have to figure what city is closest to me. The only one I know of near me is LL.
i think we are the ONLY city in West Fyran Expanse... :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

ilikefoxes666
Retired

Post by ilikefoxes666 » 29 Mar 2012, 17:39

Normal would be nice.. I think we'd all like to avoid having zombies bust down our doors :3

tanisjihanis
Retired

Post by tanisjihanis » 29 Mar 2012, 20:10

Obviously if you live in a city that is off the ground these mosnters shall be no threat! Bring on the norm!
C. S. Lewis wrote:-When we become adults, we must put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up
-To truly own something one must be capable of giving it away

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 30 Mar 2012, 00:42

If you're able to tweak the spawn levels, why not set PvP to hard? Then it becomes more of a challenge for people to fight in it.
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

Thanks to CaitxxSith on DeviantART for the free avatars.

random980

Post by random980 » 30 Mar 2012, 01:31

tanisjihanis wrote:Obviously if you live in a city that is off the ground these mosnters shall be no threat! Bring on the norm!
I would like to mention at this point the benefits of living in Solar City...

Also i guess if the whole no /gs thing becomes to much of a problem we can just re-add it. Im all for Normal mode and all for cities being useful once again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 30 Mar 2012, 04:47

vallorn wrote:
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Ok then, I'll have to figure what city is closest to me. The only one I know of near me is LL.
Ahem... There's Orion....
--Tulonsae

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Mar 2012, 05:24

Tulonsae wrote:
vallorn wrote:
Ahem... There's Orion....
never heard of it.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick