Port Royal Official thread of piratin' bizness

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
SMWasder
Retired

Port Royal Official thread of piratin' bizness

Post by SMWasder » 03 Sep 2011, 08:22

Well, I've started work on Port Royal, a small town in northern Fyra. So far I've not done most of the work; the harbour wall, most of the lighthouse (no nether access :( ) and terraforming have been done. Any help would be appreciated (although I can't really afford to pay you). Although the town is nowhere near finished yet, there are moorings available. Basically these are just water-plots, and the idea is for you to build boats in them, if you want.
Plot sizes will vary but it's unlikely that they will be very large, the piece of land is quite awkward. The general idea of the town is for it to be a port-style town, like Anvil in Oblivion or Port Royal and Tortuga from Pirates of The Carribean. Because of that I'm hoping that residents will build appropriately styled houses, although I won't force anyone to do much.

I'll post more stuff here, as I do more work. Ta

EDIT:

Right, the Southern District is pretty much complete. There are four beachside 7x7 plots, and four boat plots.
The crossed areas are the plots. That's the general layout of that area, I'm working on streetlamps and beautifying the district, and then I'll start on the North District, which will probably be a bit posher and have larger plots.

EDIT 3:
Almost finished the North District, the plots are larger and it's a bit posher. I'll post some screenies of the layout. Please join, it would be nice if I did something that didn't fail horrendously for a change.

Directions:
Take the North rail. Once you reach Looneyville, get off and travel East past the Twisted Towers. Continue until you reach Ghost/Stealthy's landclaim/village, the travel south. You should see Port Royal, it has a sandstone lighthouse with a lava light.

EDIT 4:
Where the sandstone roads are is the North District. Plots will be made to measure. Where the sand is leads to the entrance of the public mine. The quarried out area of the hill will be the Governer's House (chez moi).

EDIT 5:
Mah house.

Hopefully in about a week and a bit the small island to the south east will come into my possession. I plan to build some form of access to it and build public facilities there, like furnaces, cauldrons, a town hall, public baths and possibly farms, if there's room. I might need help as I have next to no knowledge of how to make good farms.

And can people not take sand from the area around the mine? If that goes it will look rather ugly.

I'm clearing up the rules and making them more visible:

RULEZ.
  • Ask either me or Jakeman for a plot. Plots in the north district are made to measure, plots in the south are 7x7. Moorings are also available.
  • Make your houses pwetty! Dirt is banned, please try and make your house more interesting on the outside than a cobble box.
  • Do not build a tower without my permission. Keep to about three stories maximum, if you're not sure if it's too tall, ask me or Jakeman to decide.
  • Provided you don't interfere with anything else in the town, I don't mind you building slightly out of your plot. For example, I'll allow balconies overhanging a road by one block. Don't go nuts.
  • Don't edit the town outside your plot. I'll be annoyed if I find people nicking sand from around town and things.
    You can build down as far as you like. I'll allow mining out of basements, although other basements and things take priority over mining.
  • Keep your plots well lit. Remember to light your roof!
  • For boats, the hull must be made of wood/logs or iron if you really wanted. I do not mind so much about the rest of the ship so long as it's not hideous.
  • Of course, standard server rules too.
Last edited by SMWasder on 30 Oct 2011, 08:32, edited 15 times in total.
WWTDD

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Re: SMWasder is making a town of his very own!

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 03 Sep 2011, 08:35

It's about time you stopped being a vagrant.

random980

Post by random980 » 03 Sep 2011, 13:52

I want to know who built Looneyville, cause they built it fairly close to the USSR Twisted Twin Towers i am working on.
Dont people have to be 50 blocks from a structure? I counted i think around 30 at some point.
Not complaining or asking you to move, just curious. :)
When i start working on the TTT again, i will come over and see if i can help you.
(The TTT would be the Grey square behind Looneyville's red 'L', the other one is off-map)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 03 Sep 2011, 13:57

20 blocks away... if you say its 30 or so away its well outside the 20 block zone.

Also... this thread is NOT about Loonyville... so no more talk about it. Go your proper city thread and talk about it.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 03 Sep 2011, 15:10

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:It's about time you stopped being a vagrant.
he already is supposed to Administer Vertica. unless he has stopped and hasnt told me....
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

random980

Post by random980 » 04 Sep 2011, 01:12

Milo_Windby wrote:20 blocks away... if you say its 30 or so away its well outside the 20 block zone.

Also... this thread is NOT about Loonyville... so no more talk about it. Go your proper city thread and talk about it.
Its 20 blocks, ok cool.
I still talked on-topic, i said i would help if im nearby
And a mod telling me off for going-off topic? thats a first :lol:

Expect to see me near Port royal within the week. If you want my help just ask 8-)
Eekum Bokum

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 04 Sep 2011, 06:17

vallorn wrote:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:It's about time you stopped being a vagrant.
he already is supposed to Administer Vertica. unless he has stopped and hasnt told me....
I'm still doing Vertica, I'll probably do some work on it later today.

I'm sure I'm mature and capable enough to run two towns.

:lol:
WWTDD

SMWasder
Retired

Re: SMWasder is making a town of his very own! (Port Royal)

Post by SMWasder » 25 Sep 2011, 12:39

The eviction notice on the island has had two weeks, I'll start work on a bridge to it and civic buildings there soon, depending on how optimistic I feel. I need to think of something to entice new residents, so far the town has gone down like a cup of cold sick, so I guess any suggestions would be helpful.
WWTDD

random980

Post by random980 » 26 Sep 2011, 00:48

Make a water slide!
And build a few ships in the dock (big or fishing boat sized)
I will visit soon to. :D
The place looks nice from the pictures. If you want new people to join the town you just have to advertise it more (other than this thread)
Eekum Bokum

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 26 Sep 2011, 09:18

I was offering the dock to residents, but I might have to build in one, now there's more space. The problem I have with advertising is that I'm not sure how to go about it, aside from spamming chat which I'd rather not do. The town is a bit far from the rails to get many (any) passers by too.
WWTDD

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 26 Sep 2011, 09:31

You could put up a sign near spawn saying:

Free diamond!*
*When you purchase one of our extremely overpriced build plots

It'll get you attention if nothing else.
The staff here are all trolls

Jakeman214

Post by Jakeman214 » 27 Sep 2011, 07:19

Consider yourself lucky, as I'm a noob looking for a job or three! Just gimme one of the plots and I'll try to knock up meself a small shack/house, and then get to work for ya!

EDIT: I've started stripmining cobblestone in the mine, watch out for the sign cos its quite DANGEROUS. The cobblestone is going towards the completion of the Harbour Wall. At this point I'm about halfway done, with torches running along the top as well. I needed some wood for the torches, so I cut down the trees. The saplings are in an unlocked chest, ready to be replanted when you create a tree farm.
Tabi no tochū.
Proud Queenslander, reminding the New South Welshmen exactly WHY they keep losing the State of Origin.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 28 Sep 2011, 08:04

... Completion of the harbour wall? Trees? I'm confused.

I can sort out a mooring for you in game any time, but I have literally no idea what you're talking about with the rest of it.

EDIT:

In future, ask before doing that. It's a little annoying. However, I appreciate the effort, and you can have the plot. I want to work a bit on the walls, rather than leave them as pure cobble. I'd like to add sandstone to them so they fit a little more with the existing buildings, and I'll make a falsebook gate for the entrance too.
WWTDD

Jakeman214

Post by Jakeman214 » 28 Sep 2011, 09:08

Sorry about the harbour walls... I WILL pull the entire thing down and redo it in sandstone, pure stone or whatever else you'd like. I only used cobble as I saw the small fort just underneath the governor's house and went with it. I messed up your vision for Port Royal and I'll fix it, you have my word.
Tabi no tochū.
Proud Queenslander, reminding the New South Welshmen exactly WHY they keep losing the State of Origin.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 28 Sep 2011, 10:19

It seems silly to tear down what's already there, but yeah, I'm not a fan of pure cobble really. A mix of sandstone and smoothstone seems like the best idea, and I'm thinking of adding towers and a walkway, partially because I need to build a bridge out to the island. And I was thinking that it might be better if on the other side the wall was low, so as not to ruin the views from the South district plots.
WWTDD

random980

Post by random980 » 28 Sep 2011, 11:14

Sandstone and smoothstone dont really look all that good togther, use a lot of sand stone and logs (not planks)
I visited Port Royal, its very nice but really small. I would suggest building some plots on the water itself. Give the place a sort of tropical feel to it and it will come along really well. :D
I can see the Port Royal lighthouse from behind the Twisted Twin Towers, it really is about a 30 second walk.
Keep up the good work.
Eekum Bokum

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 28 Sep 2011, 12:45

It will be getting bigger; that island is going to be transformed basically, it's going to have a lot of water-based stuff, as well as a town hall and things. I could also claim the rest of the hill, but that's not that much really and it would be awkward land for plots. You might be right about sandstone and smoothstone. Sandstone/logs would be nice, but smooth is a lot easier to get :/ decisions, decisions...
WWTDD

random980

Post by random980 » 29 Sep 2011, 02:17

SMWasder wrote:It will be getting bigger; that island is going to be transformed basically, it's going to have a lot of water-based stuff, as well as a town hall and things. I could also claim the rest of the hill, but that's not that much really and it would be awkward land for plots. You might be right about sandstone and smoothstone. Sandstone/logs would be nice, but smooth is a lot easier to get :/ decisions, decisions...
But Logs are infinite, and smooth stone requires coal and baby sitting a furnace.
Eekum Bokum

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 29 Sep 2011, 07:26

random980 wrote:
SMWasder wrote:It will be getting bigger; that island is going to be transformed basically, it's going to have a lot of water-based stuff, as well as a town hall and things. I could also claim the rest of the hill, but that's not that much really and it would be awkward land for plots. You might be right about sandstone and smoothstone. Sandstone/logs would be nice, but smooth is a lot easier to get :/ decisions, decisions...
But Logs are infinite, and smooth stone requires coal and baby sitting a furnace.
(Whispers from a dark alley) "Hey, hey you! Yeah you! You lookin' for some smoothstone? I got all the smoothstone you need..."

Jakeman214

Post by Jakeman214 » 29 Sep 2011, 07:33

random980 wrote:
How about Sandstone pillars/towers intersecting a wall of Stone Bricks? I think it would add to the period look nicely. Logs may look nice, but its meant to be a harbour wall, and anybody who puts wood in a harbour wall deserves to watch it be blown up with TNT.3

@Aenir- "Is it top quality smoothstone? Is it the best stuff? I only take teh best stuff, man!"
Tabi no tochū.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 29 Sep 2011, 11:50

"I make it by hand in my basement, its top Notch!"

Jakeman214

Post by Jakeman214 » 29 Sep 2011, 20:06

@Aenir-That is soooooooooooooooo bad. Bad jokes are hilarious!

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

On Topic: SMW, I'm gonna redo the harbour wall in Stone Brick with Sandstone features (Towers). I'll do a small amount on the Eastern side of the wall, just in front of my house first so you can see what it looks like.
Tabi no tochū.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 30 Sep 2011, 11:17

Erm, isn't that west?

Yeah, that's a good combination though, I like it. It doesn't clash like stone/sandstone does. I'll get to work on making the island suitable to build on, and then we can start work on a bridge.
WWTDD

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 03 Oct 2011, 14:30

03/10/2011
Updates:
  • Added to the rules in the OP a little, nothing dramatic. The ruleboard in the town basically tells people to read this. I don't like writing lots of stuff out onto signs, it's more practical to do this. Plus it (hopefully) gets people to look at the forums and also makes it easier to reply to questions.

Forgot to add: Port Royal is signing up to the USSR! This probably won't mean vast amounts, but they're nice chaps and it could, possibly, mean more support. I think there are a few leaps and hurdles I need to go through first that I haven't gotten around to though.
Progress:
  • The island is terraformed, now completely flat and ready for building. I'm going to use the island for the town hall, and other things depending on the space.

Added a walkway from the path under my house over the mine entrance. Not any particular reason, but it's a bit convenient and pretty. I might build some sort of tavern under my house from it.

Jakeman's working on the harbour walls. Any donations are appreciated. Once the walls are finished I may add more moorings and build a decent entrance.

I have built a bridge out to the island from the harbour walls. It's not really accessible yet, but it will be when the walls are done.
Plans and Suggestions:
  • The town needs more residents. I'm trying to make the town better all-round to attract people, but I'm not entirely sure how effective it is. Some form of advertising would be good, but I don't really see how that's possible without pissing people off. I'm hoping that keeping this thread updated like this will help to garner some interest.

The town needs to feel more town-like, I think. At the moment it feels incomplete. I'm planning on building more civic buildings and also sprucing up the place. Any suggestions for what to build would be very appreciated.

In a similar vein, where the beach on the island was is now a large cave. I'm not sure what to do with it, I was thinking of turning it into some sort of chamber for the town hall, but I think it could be put to better uses.

Any suggestions for uses of the floors in the lighthouse are welcome. I can't let them out as apartments because the ladder up goes through and they are too small. Possibly replacing the ladder with a lift and letting out all the floors as a house? Maybe turning the top floor into an office? If I give positions to residents I could give them offices there too? I don't know. I'm not sure about giving official positions right now considering the town is so small. :?:

At some point I might build a rail from the North line to Port Royal. I don't really have the resources to do it and I might talk to idontcare to see if we can link it to Looneyville.

Oh, almost forgot; I might claim the rest of the hill behind my house. I don't think it's part of stealthy and ghost's landclaim, but I need to check first. The hill isn't as steep as I thought, it should be ok to use for more plots. That said, there's plenty of empty space as it is :roll:

I am going to start building my ship in one of the moorings. I didn't want to before because I didn't know how many moorings there were room for, but now there's the island available it should be ok. Should make the harbour a little less empty too!
I will add screenies of the town soon, just to illustrate what's going on.
WWTDD

random980

Re: Port Royal Official thread of piratin' bizness

Post by random980 » 04 Oct 2011, 23:00

If you make a railway, please go AROUND the Twisted Twin Towers.
The USSR will do more than just 'maybe' help, we WILL help, a lot. If you want us to do something just post it in our thread and someone will respond and help you out.

If you keep Port Royal under a 'tropical' theme it will look really cool. Try to build the town using the natural landscape, looks better and obvious changes to the land can ruin the look of the town. Try not to expand to much unless necessary. keep the layout of the town simple and spacious. Again if you need any help with design or building materials, just ask in the USSR thread.
Eekum Bokum

XxGhOsTxReCoNxX
Retired

Post by XxGhOsTxReCoNxX » 04 Oct 2011, 23:13

Ill take a plot :)

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 05 Oct 2011, 08:32

random980 wrote: The USSR will do more than just 'maybe' help, we WILL help, a lot. If you want us to do something just post it in our thread and someone will respond and help you out.
I thought so, but I was just trying to not sound like I was demanding anything.

And ghost, I can sort out a plot for you, just ask in game and I'll mark one out. :D

Oh, and under the central bit with the lighthouse there is the storeroom I use. The entrances are hidden, mainly to not ruin the look, but also because I'm very childish :lol: . I don't mind if you find them, but the doors are locked. There's nothing interesting in there (honest!).

Started work on the bar under my house. It goes down to the mine too. I was wondering if anyone wants the position of pub landlord? :) You get nothing from it except the title of pub landlord and you get to name the bar. The only requirements are that you are a Port Royal resident, and you cannot name the bar after any users of the server (including yourself!).
WWTDD

random980

Post by random980 » 05 Oct 2011, 10:38

SMWasder wrote:
random980 wrote: The USSR will do more than just 'maybe' help, we WILL help, a lot. If you want us to do something just post it in our thread and someone will respond and help you out.
I thought so, but I was just trying to not sound like I was demanding anything.

And ghost, I can sort out a plot for you, just ask in game and I'll mark one out. :D

Oh, and under the central bit with the lighthouse there is the storeroom I use. The entrances are hidden, mainly to not ruin the look, but also because I'm very childish :lol: . I don't mind if you find them, but the doors are locked. There's nothing interesting in there (honest!).

Started work on the bar under my house. It goes down to the mine too. I was wondering if anyone wants the position of pub landlord? :) You get nothing from it except the title of pub landlord and you get to name the bar. The only requirements are that you are a Port Royal resident, and you cannot name the bar after any users of the server (including yourself!).
i can be pub landlord!?
and can we call the pub 'The Winchester' (Shawn of the Dead reference)?
Eekum Bokum

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 05 Oct 2011, 13:03

Sure thing! It's not quite finished yet, but the bar is almost ready. I shall put up a sign!

Also sprucing up the mine entrance. It looks rather dramatic with the twin streams! :D Replacing lots of cobble. I know we have a big hole in the middle of the town, but at least we can have a stylish hole in the ground.
Last edited by SMWasder on 06 Oct 2011, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
WWTDD

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 05 Oct 2011, 19:07

hello, i would very much like to see port royal, when ever your one wanna show me? :D
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."