Religion

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
dragonmanasd

Re: Religion

Post by dragonmanasd » 29 Jun 2011, 02:53

Just to ask, does any one here just not care??
(because nart doesn't give two blox of gravel)
I'll trade you three blox of dirt for your gravel.
And, yeah, I don't don't really care one way or another.
FOR PONY!!!!!*

(not an MLP reference. if you don't know what it is, read http://lfgcomic.com/page/42.

Jman_503

Post by Jman_503 » 10 Jul 2011, 13:51

I don't really believe in god but I believe in the morals that the church teaches you.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 12 Jul 2011, 20:29

We need something to believe in... If we din't then we loose hope... if we loose hope, we loose our humanity.

We need God.
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 12 Jul 2011, 20:55

Zinrius wrote:We need something to believe in... If we din't then we loose hope... if we loose hope, we loose our humanity.

We need God.
I think the millions of atheists around the world who live happy, fulfilling lives would beg to differ. Personally, I'm quite happy not believing in a God. I used to stress about what I was doing--if it was right in God's eyes. However, I don't have that stress or that guilt anymore. I'm not worried about dying, either. The fact that existence is finite makes it all the more precious. I want to make the most out of the short time I have. :)

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 12 Jul 2011, 21:06

Godavari wrote:
Zinrius wrote:We need something to believe in... If we din't then we loose hope... if we loose hope, we loose our humanity.

We need God.
I think the millions of atheists around the world who live happy, fulfilling lives would beg to differ. Personally, I'm quite happy not believing in a God. I used to stress about what I was doing--if it was right in God's eyes. However, I don't have that stress or that guilt anymore. I'm not worried about dying, either. The fact that existence is finite makes it all the more precious. I want to make the most out of the short time I have. :)
I do believe in an after life... but it's scary to live an eternity in a world that probably has no free will to think in the first place.

So this is an even field for me.

Tsukianei

Post by Tsukianei » 13 Jul 2011, 15:42

I'm Atheist. However, it wasn't always so. Back when I was a kid I was forced to go to church. Growing up in Louisiana, not going to church wasn't an option. However, even as a kid the concept of an invisible man in the sky didn't make sense to me. I questioned it, I pointed out flaws in stories in the bible that made no sense. Such as; "Where did Noah find penguins and polar bears to put on the ark?" Of course, those questions only got me in trouble.

It wasn't really until the 6th grade that the concept of just not believing finally hit me in the head. I was in class one day and thought to myself, "what if he wasn't real?" At that moment, it was like I was Neo waking up in the real world for the first time.

From then on, things just made so much more sense, and for the first time in a very long time, I was happy. Like Godavari said, it made me realize how little time I have. It also made me realize that I wasn't bound to be good out of fear of being sent to hell, I was bound to be good out of my own inner morals and values. I answer for my own actions. That bread on my table? I put it there. I have no one to thank for it but myself. When I mess up, I don't ask a god for inner strength. I evaluate what happened, what I did wrong, and what I can do different the next time to make up for it.

However, when it comes to other people and what they believe, I don't get into arguments about it unless someone is shoving their view upon me. Everyone has the right to believe whatever it is they want. As long as they're not hurting anyone, or forcing it upon someone, it's all right by me. I'm happy not believing, and others are happy to believe. To each his own, it's none of my business. Just as they have no right to tell me what I should believe, I have no right to tell them what they should believe.
I'm not running away; I'm advancing in reverse.
ImageImage

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 13 Jul 2011, 16:43

Coulnd't agree more Tsukianei. To each it's own.

It's when both parties start rubbing their believes in each others faces when the trouble begins. However, I equally enjoy life in my own little way. You almost made it sound like believers din't enjoy it as much and I think that's a bit unfair to say.

Whatever makes the boat float.

Tsukianei

Post by Tsukianei » 13 Jul 2011, 17:31

I didn't mean to make it sound like believers didn't or don't enjoy life, I was just meaning to say that as a believer, I couldn't. I couldn't find happiness knowing that I was living my life to someone elses standards, that I was just being a good christian dude simply because I was afraid of being punished by eternal damnation. That was just my view on it. I know others don't see it that way, everyone has a different view on it, that is just one opinion, and I don't believe for a second that it should be held more highly that anyone elses.

But like you said, whatever makes the boat float. Just because people may believe different things, or see the same thing in a different light, doesn't mean that people can't be friends and get along.

I swear, if Hitler had Minecraft there wouldn't have been a Holocaust.
I'm not running away; I'm advancing in reverse.
ImageImage

luke2006

Post by luke2006 » 13 Jul 2011, 22:46

I don't know if anyone has said this, but to me, religion often comes across as being conflicted and hypocritical.

For example, people say that God has a plan for everyone. God's master plan. And all will be sunshine and rainbows. But then they also say that God has deemed certain actions sinful. Doesn't this therefore mean that for the sins to happen, they were thus included in the plan? Does that mean that God intended for racist and rapists and criminals? And also, is there any point in working to change yourself or better yourself when everything has been planned out for you? Is there any point in prayer, for example, or asking forgiveness?

Religion just leaves too many unanswered and unanswerable questions. I don't understand how people of logical disposition can accept religion as fact, when it often isn't based on solid proof.

That said, religion helps a lot of people, and that's great! If it gives a person purpose, direction, acceptance, etc, then that's fantastic. The problem is when religion causes conflict.
Tsukianei wrote:I swear, if Hitler had Minecraft there wouldn't have been a Holocaust.
Maybe non-MC players would have been targeted?

random980

Post by random980 » 14 Jul 2011, 08:19

This happened recently, Greek orthodox high priests and some other country-based christian priests actually slugged each other over the use of a super sacred room in a shared church and some were arrested. I think this happened somewhere in Jerusalem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 19 Jul 2011, 13:54

I always thought the Bible made God out to be an dictator. Do something he doesn't like, and you're cast into the flames of Hell for eternity. Doesn't make him sound like a very nice fellow.

Personally, I don't believe in God. There are so many things in the various religious texts that have been proven wrong by scientists, primarily fossils. According to the Bible all life was created in one week, yet archeology proves otherwise.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

luke2006

Post by luke2006 » 21 Jul 2011, 05:30

Religion came before science - just people trying to explain the phenomena around them.

D4nny

Post by D4nny » 22 Jan 2012, 20:47

Cho wrote:So Crash, and Tomen - that's a no on joining the First Church of Cho?

I will die, or kill other small animals and humans in the name of Cho.

No but idk; I think there could be a God just not the one religions have in mind. A "loving" God wouldn't let humanity fall into a pile of crap :|

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 02 Feb 2012, 21:17

Religion is stupid. People should focus on their own personal spirituality and stop being hypocrits doing anti-religious acts to enforce their religion.

It's retarded.

You want to worship Cthulu ? Hades ? He-man ? That furry tasmanian in the ceral boxes ? Fine, but keep it to yourself. I'm a very spiritual person, and I follow my taught believes but when it comes to religion I just don't see why I should turn into such an a**hole towards people who don't follow it.

I hate religion, I really do... they portray every other poor soul with believes to be a bunch of closed-minded ding dongs.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 03 Feb 2012, 01:01

He-Man would totally beat Jesus in a fight

Just sayin'

I also think Goku should be considered for deification. He's stronger than the actual metaphors for god in that show. So much so that they had to keep inventing new ones for him to surpass (Kami, King Yemma, King Kai, Grand Kai, Supreme Kai). Plus who doesn't want a god who can fire lasers from his hands and eat his own weight in rice?
The staff here are all trolls

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 03 Feb 2012, 01:06

What do I know ? I worship trees ! :D

Trees never hurt anyone... unless they're cut down in which case you deserve it's might.

They provide shade... oxygen... mats for homes... fuel... so much....

We have our meetings on Wednesdays where we just pour our tears into the roots of the forest trees to feed them our joy.

and stuff...

where am I ?

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 06 Feb 2012, 12:16

I think you're on your way to a padded cell.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE