Religion

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
random980

Re: Religion

Post by random980 » 19 Mar 2011, 08:26

I am Jewish.
do i belive in god? no
does that mean i dont think there IS a god? no

I need proof. There is no proof he exists and theres no hard proof he doesnt.
i think there COULD be something classified as 'god'.
but i have seen no proof, and the fact that i question it so much makes me think there is no god
i also think religion causes for the most part violence and racism
if we had no religion we would have hardly any terrorism (think about it), and its likely the Holocaust would have never happened.
in my opinion i think religion is an excuse to answer the question of why/how we came into being until science can explain it properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 19 Mar 2011, 08:51

People kill each other now for many reasons other than religion.

And speculation about what could have happened is rather pointless and is self-serving for whichever belief you hold.

catzrule101

Post by catzrule101 » 19 Mar 2011, 09:13

I am full Christian, I know at times I might doubt but I ALWAYS stay close to Jesus Christ. When you are down and things keep coming at you, it might be God saying "Wake up!" You need to Wake Up to the light of the Lord, our Lord, Jesus Christ. You might think, Oh Thats just old stories, its not! Its HISTORY!!!!!!!! People seriously, WAKE UP!!!! When Moses parted the red sea, HISTORY!! Noah and the Ark, HISTORY!!! David and Goliath, guess what? H-I-S-T-O-R-Y!!!!!!!! Its real and you are apart of it. You and the Light Of God.... History
You are also part of history and God loves you more than you can imagine. So Believe. Believe in Him. First Step:
Try Out a Christian Church. Read The Bible! Talk about Him! Let him into your heart! Be nice! And ask others about him! Be a good Christian The Last Step: You Get into the Gates Of Heaven
DA WOLFIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 19 Mar 2011, 15:10

catzrule101 wrote:I am full Christian, I know at times I might doubt but I ALWAYS stay close to Jesus Christ. When you are down and things keep coming at you, it might be God saying "Wake up!" You need to Wake Up to the light of the Lord, our Lord, Jesus Christ. You might think, Oh Thats just old stories, its not! Its HISTORY!!!!!!!! People seriously, WAKE UP!!!! When Moses parted the red sea, HISTORY!! Noah and the Ark, HISTORY!!! David and Goliath, guess what? H-I-S-T-O-R-Y!!!!!!!! Its real and you are apart of it. You and the Light Of God.... History
You are also part of history and God loves you more than you can imagine. So Believe. Believe in Him. First Step:
Try Out a Christian Church. Read The Bible! Talk about Him! Let him into your heart! Be nice! And ask others about him! Be a good Christian The Last Step: You Get into the Gates Of Heaven

I agree with all of this. And even though I am at times offending, I try not to.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 19 Mar 2011, 17:16

if churches are gods houses then why does he need so many? He should rent some out and get lots of cash
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 19 Mar 2011, 18:33

Now that's a stupid question and it's disrespectful.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 19 Mar 2011, 18:52

Sir_Luke wrote:Now that's a stupid question and it's disrespectful.
Its not really that rude of a question, and on top of it all you your self do not need to answer by being rude.

Play nice.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 19 Mar 2011, 19:44

Wildwill002 wrote:if churches are gods houses then why does he need so many? He should rent some out and get lots of cash
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm leaning towards that this was indeed a joke post.

Please refrain from this kind of "question." You never know who you may offend.

nart_21086
Retired

Post by nart_21086 » 20 Mar 2011, 02:39

mettalfreak wrote:
nart_21086 wrote:I grew up with Roman Catholic Religion class and I believe the reasonoing for all this questioning of God due to the negative events in the universe is due to the extreme Glorification of God (and most other deities), and once one begins to question the purity of a being that can allow evil to happen, the majority of Established religion Replies: It's part of the plan, or even, They Deserved it.
So you think even if only one us does something wrong everyone is going to deserve being punished?
How is it part of the plan though ? Where is this sopposedly plan kept?
If you have not read my former post (or even the one you quoted), I am not part of any Religion and do not have these answers. This was just what was force fed to me as a child. I simply present my personal theory of a common catalyst in the departure of youth from organised Religion.

Especially on this thread: READ
I Serve Escapia

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 20 Mar 2011, 07:56

nart_21086 wrote:
mettalfreak wrote:
nart_21086 wrote:I grew up with Roman Catholic Religion class and I believe the reasonoing for all this questioning of God due to the negative events in the universe is due to the extreme Glorification of God (and most other deities), and once one begins to question the purity of a being that can allow evil to happen, the majority of Established religion Replies: It's part of the plan, or even, They Deserved it.
So you think even if only one us does something wrong everyone is going to deserve being punished?
If you have not read my former post (or even the one you quoted), I am not part of any Religion and do not have these answers. This was just what was force fed to me as a child. I simply present my personal theory of a common catalyst in the departure of youth from organised Religion.

sorry i wasnt asking you i was just wondering about this plan :)

nart_21086
Retired

Post by nart_21086 » 20 Mar 2011, 11:28

mettalfreak wrote:
nart_21086 wrote:
mettalfreak wrote: So you think even if only one us does something wrong everyone is going to deserve being punished?

This brings up another quality of Organized Religion I cannot endure: Speculation being Radical Fact. Even When I was A Radical Catholic, I did not believe that any one man or group of people could Definitively Know about subjects such as God's plan or who does/n't deserve to be saved.
I Serve Escapia

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 20 Mar 2011, 11:45

nart_21086 wrote:
mettalfreak wrote:
nart_21086 wrote: If you have not read my former post (or even the one you quoted), I am not part of any Religion and do not have these answers. This was just what was force fed to me as a child. I simply present my personal theory of a common catalyst in the departure of youth from organised Religion.

This brings up another quality of Organized Religion I cannot endure: Speculation being Radical Fact. Even When I was A Radical Catholic, I did not believe that any one man or group of people could Definitively Know about subjects such as God's plan or who does/n't deserve to be saved.
religion is very confusing :\

jagorrax
Retired

Post by jagorrax » 20 Mar 2011, 18:14

I am an atheist. I did not need the any kind of religion to determine my morals. I live for myself, and eventually I will live for my family. Some people have asked me, "Where do you think you will go after you die?". To which I respond, "no where, I'll be dead." My other greek orthadox friend asked me, "What if you die and find out I was right the whole time?" To which I answered,"If your god decides that I should burn in hell for the rest of eternity for not worshiping him, than I was right to not worship him in the first place."
Hope this smidgen on the forums helped you understand the mind of Jagorrax.
Sometimes I lather my body with Vaseline and pretend I'm a slug.

Post by 697134002 » 20 Mar 2011, 18:30

jagorrax wrote:I am an atheist. I did not need the any kind of religion to determine my morals. I live for myself, and eventually I will live for my family. Some people have asked me, "Where do you think you will go after you die?". To which I respond, "no where, I'll be dead." My other greek orthadox friend asked me, "What if you die and find out I was right the whole time?" To which I answered,"If your god decides that I should burn in hell for the rest of eternity for not worshiping him, than I was right to not worship him in the first place."
I'm stealing that.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 20 Mar 2011, 18:32

jagorrax wrote:I am an atheist. I did not need the any kind of religion to determine my morals. I live for myself, and eventually I will live for my family. Some people have asked me, "Where do you think you will go after you die?". To which I respond, "no where, I'll be dead." My other greek orthadox friend asked me, "What if you die and find out I was right the whole time?" To which I answered,"If your god decides that I should burn in hell for the rest of eternity for not worshiping him, than I was right to not worship him in the first place."
^ That.

And I haven't replied to this yet because I am anti-theist, not just atheist, so if I get started, I'll more than likely get out of hand talking about how wrong everyone is for believing in any kind of deity.

Tomenaki
Retired

Post by Tomenaki » 21 Mar 2011, 18:00

A wonderful way to put it. :D I agree wholeheartedly.

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 25 Mar 2011, 09:15

What do you do if you have children that have done wrong?

Just answer it.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 25 Mar 2011, 09:44

Sir_Luke wrote:

Just answer it.
okay il answer it but i want an answer of my own. what the ruddy hell does a naughty child have to do with burning for all eternity in *insert generic realm of punnishment here*

but i digress, i would punish them with a severity that was appropriate to what they had done.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 25 Mar 2011, 14:21

mettalfreak wrote:What has started all this belief of Gods?
Is it us selfish humans trying to explain the unexplaineable?
How do we know that God exists/doesnt Exist?
If there was a god why is there tragedy everywhere?
What if there are more gods and not one?(Greek Mythology 14 Gods.)
If there is a god does he watch me when im sleeping D: ?

One theory

(also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_ ... ideo_title)
The staff here are all trolls

jagorrax
Retired

Post by jagorrax » 26 Mar 2011, 10:36

Sir_Luke wrote:

Just answer it.
I'm not sure I understand the question. Define "done wrong". If my child decides not to do his/her homework, I will explain the repercussions and most likely punish them by taking away a toy or game. If my child kills someone, I would probably blame myself as a parent, but at that point the court system will decide what to do. But maybe your right; I should refer to the bible when dealing with my disobedient children. Let's see...*searches through bible*, ah ha! All they need is a good stoning to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21). No, I think I will teach my kids the law of the land. I didn't need religion to learn my morals, I don't believe they will need it either. I don't mean to be offensive in any way; this IS what I believe, just as you believe in your religion.

nart_21086
Retired

Post by nart_21086 » 26 Mar 2011, 11:40

jagorrax wrote:
Sir_Luke wrote:

Just answer it.
I'm not sure I understand the question. Define "done wrong". If my child decides not to do his/her homework, I will explain the repercussions and most likely punish them by taking away a toy or game. If my child kills someone, I would probably blame myself as a parent, but at that point the court system will decide what to do. But maybe your right; I should refer to the bible when dealing with my disobedient children. Let's see...*searches through bible*, ah ha! All they need is a good stoning to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21). No, I think I will teach my kids the law of the land. I didn't need religion to learn my morals, I don't believe they will need it either. I don't mean to be offensive in any way; this IS what I believe, just as you believe in your religion.
One cannot view this subject objectively if they presume that us that are not religious have no morals, sense, or are completely daft.
I Serve Escapia

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 26 Mar 2011, 14:45

^ This is me right now. I grew up in a Presbyterian/Catholic split family, and attended non-denominational Christian private school until the sixth grade. Upon my parents' divorce I was put into the public school system and right off the bat I realized that I was wrong the whole time. Very few of my friends grew up in the same religious environment that I had, and I met several new people with different religions that sounded so much more appealing than "worship me, or burn in hell for eternity". Right now I'm still in the Atheist spot, but recently I met someone who has shown me a very interesting take on religion which I won't really go into detail about.

So right now I'm Atheist, leaning toward Agnostic/Spiritual. And I'm fine with it.

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 27 Mar 2011, 15:57

First I want to say that this is a place for discussing religions and not for arguing about them. With that in mind I'll try to keep this as civil as I can. Humans by default are sinners, the Bible says that ALL over it. And it's as simple as if you believe that Jesus was executed on the cross so that your sins can be forgiven then you go to heaven. And if every sin is as bad as the other and since we all sin then we are all damned to hell unless you believe that Jesus saved you by bearing God's wrath.

jagorrax
Retired

Post by jagorrax » 27 Mar 2011, 16:43

Sir_Luke wrote:Humans by default are sinners, the Bible says that ALL over it.
I understand what you are trying to convey to me. I don't believe in the bible. I don't believe it is the word of God. You do, and I will respect that belief. I know that human beings can be very cruel, but we can also be very good without any kind of divine intervention. I have worked at soup kitchens, done massive volunteer work to help my community and those in need. I have also had relations before marriage multiple times. I also wear more than two different linens on most days. I have read the bible and don't consider it fact. It was filled with strange stories, and was very difficult to get through. I look at the world around me and try to better understand it rather than trying to fit it to what the bible says. If I, or someone else, found a way to build an Arc and fit over 10million species on it both females and males, and not have them eat each other while having enough food to sustain them all. What I am trying to get at, is the Bible says a lot of things, and I don't think you can pick/choose which parts to believe, if you believe the bible is the word of god.
This may sound really strange to you, but I don't want to go anywhere when I die. I don't want to go to heaven or hell. I would rather just die without having some sort of conscience after death. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of time in absolute Bliss, or eternal damnation. I want to make do with the time I have. Immortality is overrated.
Also, I don't want you to consider this an argument. I am stating what I believe and why I believe it, just as you are doing.

nart_21086
Retired

Post by nart_21086 » 27 Mar 2011, 22:12

jagorrax wrote:This may sound really strange to you, but I don't want to go anywhere when I die. I don't want to go to heaven or hell. I would rather just die without having some sort of conscience after death. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of time in absolute Bliss, or eternal damnation. I want to make do with the time I have. Immortality is overrated.
I agree with this statement, I would rather live now than later.
I Serve Escapia

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 28 Mar 2011, 15:31

But why not have something better for you when you die? You already said this but If I'm right and you're wrong things go good for me and if I'm wrong nothing happens. It's a win win scenario.

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 29 Mar 2011, 01:28

Sir_Luke wrote:But why not have something better for you when you die? You already said this but If I'm right and you're wrong things go good for me and if I'm wrong nothing happens. It's a win win scenario.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 29 Mar 2011, 01:41

Furdabip...

Your post made my day, thank you =D
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 29 Mar 2011, 01:43

Milo Windby wrote:Furdabip...

Your post made my day, thank you =D
Subscribe to ZJemptv, then. He makes my day everytme he posts a new video. ^_^

trainreqx2

Post by trainreqx2 » 29 Mar 2011, 18:18

From the day I learned how to talk, it was always stuffed into my brain that God existed, and if I did anything bad, God would send me to hell where I would burn for the rest of eternity. I came from a catholic family, and went to a Christian school for the most part of my life(with a heavy emphasis on Christian) I believe that somewhere out there there is a God, but what I don't believe is the religious ways that human developed. I once asked a saint why they couldn't marry, if God wanted us to love each other. His response was a nice slap to my face with some book(Most likely the Bible) I still believed in God, because incredible things have happened to me. I was supposed to die from pneumonia at age 3, I have been almost run over so many times, that I have lost count, and I have been in really messed up situations. Maybe it was just cag, but I believe that maybe it was God watching over me. Now again, if there really was a God, why do people have to die? And according to most religions, why is it that if I say anything against God, I will be sent to hell? Why is it that saints, and priests in Italy are molesting little boys and girls, and yet still tell me that because I got into an argument with my sister, or ran away from my house with out permission for a couple hours, that I, and not them will go to hell. My point is: I believe there is a God, I just don't believe in the lies that we call "religions."
Just thought I'd give in my two cents since the server was also down.
Beauty is why God invented eyeballs and her booty is why God invented my balls.