Bill S.978 Opinions

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
powerfulkingt
Team Enigma

Bill S.978 Opinions

Post by powerfulkingt » 03 Jul 2011, 18:54

Well you might have heard or not, the US might pass this, making it unable to post livestream's or lets plays of anything. This here thread is supposed to just show whats your opinion about it, because I think it's outrageous......(note that it doesn't effect you foreigners...lucky arses)
~The Fulk
ImageImage

givemeabreak432
Retired

Re: Bill S.978 Opinions

Post by givemeabreak432 » 03 Jul 2011, 19:15

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 03 Jul 2011, 19:45

I read somewhere that it was overturned yesterday. Not sure though.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 03 Jul 2011, 20:39

That was a previous version of a similar bill, Afly. This one appears to still be up. In fact, just last month it was pre-approved by a senate committee.

The prospects of this bill, or a bill like it, passing is still exceptionally high. The Democrats support it, a number of Republicans support it. The support is there. Whether it can pass this congress is another thing, entirely. The Democrats struggled, on their own vocation, to do much action when they held both houses. I am not sure with the political infighting in congress nowadays what will incur for this bill. Though similar circumstances led to the flawed DMCA in the first place, under the Clinton Administration.

I get why bills like this tend to come up, for obvious reasons. I also get why other states have or will do the same, whether for commercial interests or for their own political party principles. Every time something like this comes up, though, I can't help but be reminded of a disconnect between wants and needs, generation and generation, policymakers and society. I'm more than likely going to be a part of the political machine of my country sooner than later, and well, the cycle seems to go on and on.

Onecanofsprite

Post by Onecanofsprite » 06 Jul 2011, 03:47

Hooray, living in Europe!

Seriously though, this is a ridiculous law that will put people in jail who effectively haven't done anything wrong. What's wrong with live LPs?
"Shoutouts to the peaceful Skeleton community"

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Jul 2011, 04:44

knowing you bloody yanks this bill will give carte blanch to you police force to extradite people from other countries for livestreaming...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 06 Jul 2011, 07:10

Onecanofsprite wrote:What's wrong with live LPs?
If anything they generate interest, which helps to make money. What irritates me about some companies is that they can be incredibly stupid when it comes to win-win scenarios. If they were good businessmen like me they'd find a way to twist the win-win scenario into an ultrawin-indentured scenario.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 06 Jul 2011, 07:26

Onecanofsprite wrote:What's wrong with live LPs?
The bill isn't directed at stopping Let's Players, it's intended to prevent streaming of movies and TV shows. LPs are only included because it's worded as "all copyrighted material".
Streaming a movie hurts sales, people who watch it don't then go out an buy DVDs or see it in theatres.
Streaming TV shows hurts sales, the audience don't have to watch the adverts that help support that show.
Streaming game footage encourages sales. When people see someone else having fun they're more likely to go out and buy the game for themselves. Watching a video game isn't the same as playing a video game, seeing footage of it doesn't discourage people from buying it. Plus it's free advertising, and usually places the game in a positive light.

For anyone who didn't see it X posted a video about this describing the issue far more eloquently than me:
Spoiler! :
The staff here are all trolls

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 06 Jul 2011, 17:26

I've heard about this, I thought this law only applies to streams that generate a set amount of money (3000 dollars, I believe) or more, thus leaving non-profit organizations unaffected?

Feel free to correct me or verify that.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Jul 2011, 17:48

was thinkning about this and either 2 things will happen if this passes:
1: Games company's routinely add a bit to their TOU that states it can be freely Lets Plays and Livestreamed and whatever.

2: Google and the other companies that will be killed by this (a lot of Youtube would die) lobby for an amendment to save themselves.

its outisde of the RaP forum so i hid this politically charged rant in a spoiler for safe keeping :D
Spoiler! :
anyway im not surprised the Democrats want to stick the states nose into this... i mean if a company objects they can throw a CEASE AND DESIST notice at people and sue em... its in there nature as leftys i expect... id be unsurprised if the next UK Labour government forced something like this through our parliament as well. :?
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 09 Jul 2011, 17:37

Vallorn, you are amazing. I agree completely. What our US government needs to focus on is creating jobs, reducing outsourcing, increasing exports, and paying off the debt of the country. It seems politicians no longer try to represent the average citizen, now they represent the large companies who shove cash in their pockets.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

ziggylord

Post by ziggylord » 19 Oct 2011, 02:57

i dunno what’s true and what’s not. i have heard so much about this bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRO_rUbVXL4
he seems to know a bit about it.
EDIT: i agree with vallorn, mojang are probably going to do that right after the bill is passed if it passes.