Scotland becoming Independent

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
Angerholic

Scotland becoming Independent

Post by Angerholic » 14 Jan 2012, 19:51

So as you may or may not know, Scotland will be getting a vote for independence in autumn 2014.
I can see why people want to become independent but I also see why people want to stay with the Union. Personally, I don't really mind if we become independent as long as nothing bad happens between Westminster and us.

Talking of Westminster, George Osbourne said that he will ban the pound from Scotland if we become independent, unfortunately I don't know if he's speaking the truth or trying to scare us into not voting for independence. Also there's an argument about the panda's Sweetie and Sunshine about who has rightful ownership of them, to which I say "Scotland's paying the bills for them, they're ours.".

But I want to know what YOU think about Scotland separating from the Union.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Re: Scotland becoming Independent

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 14 Jan 2012, 19:58

Who gives a shit about pandas?

Angerholic

Post by Angerholic » 14 Jan 2012, 20:06

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Who gives a shit about pandas?
Animal lovers?

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 14 Jan 2012, 22:11

I give a shit about pandas.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 14 Jan 2012, 22:32

Angerholic wrote:So as you may or may not know, Scotland will be getting a vote for independence in autumn 2014.
I can see why people want to become independent but I also see why people want to stay with the Union. Personally, I don't really mind if we become independent as long as nothing bad happens between Westminster and us.

Talking of Westminster, George Osbourne said that he will ban the pound from Scotland if we become independent, unfortunately I don't know if he's speaking the truth or trying to scare us into not voting for independence. Also there's an argument about the panda's Sweetie and Sunshine about who has rightful ownership of them, to which I say "Scotland's paying the bills for them, they're ours.".

But I want to know what YOU think about Scotland separating from the Union.
actually he wont "Ban the pound". as the pound is a sovereign coin of the United Kingdom of which Scotland would no longer be a part of it stands to reason that Scotland would either have to found their own currency or adopt an existing one. and if they decide to join the EU as Salmond so wishes then Scotland will have to join the Euro as that is in the joining procedures. look just how well the euros working anyway.

as another note Salmond consistently put across the idea of an "Axis of Prosperity" between an independent Scotland (subsidized under the barnett formula) , the Republic of Ireland (heavy austerity) and Iceland (bankrupt) so there's also the point that the leader of the "Scotland Out" group doesn't understand economics.

moving on. the armed forces, civil service, NHS and many other institutions would no longer be applicable to Scotland as they are institutions of the UK. these would have to be redounded by the new Scottish state. the UK taxpayer as a whole bailed out Scottish Based banks and if Scotland becomes independent i can easily see them being forced to hold the debt on that instead of Westminster as Westminster will no longer be the parliamentary body under which they are run.

now this is from a person who would for selfish reasons prefer Scotland to go. i would no longer have to subsidize the scottish body and Labour would be destroyed as a political force which would greatly benifit the Union of Wales, Northern Island and England. HOWEVER, im not quite selfish enough to push for them to go considering it would lead to ruin.

so yeah... im against splitting this great nation in twain.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 14 Jan 2012, 23:01

Although a good kick in the teeth may make England realise it's not the power it once was and start properly focusing on internal affairs.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 16 Jan 2012, 12:54

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 21 Jan 2012, 08:02

I doubt independence would go well for Scotland, they'd lose more than they stand to gain I think. They would probably join the euro and that's clearly not the best idea right now. However, it's really up to them. I don't reckon they'll go for it though. As far as I know it's the SNP's other policies (and Labour going up shit creek) that got them into power, rather than their will for independence.
WWTDD