Religion and atheists

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.

Re: Religion and atheists

Post by 697134002 » 04 Jul 2012, 16:28

Tulonsae wrote:Sure, of course atheists can think of fictional things. But if it's fiction, it exists as fiction. My understanding is that atheists consider god to not exist. And, perhaps I worded it badly, but my original post in this thread was my confusion at why atheists would comment in a thread on the nature of god with "He doesn't exist."
The thread was not about the nature of god. It was about what you think about the god of the bible. And Jake replied that he finds the notion of the god depicted in the bible absurd. That was what he thinks of the god of the bible.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 04 Jul 2012, 16:42

Hmm... That's not a fact. Asi did not say the god of the bible in his original post. And Jake did not say god of the bible in his response.

So, as a result, I read things differently.
--Tulonsae

Post by 697134002 » 04 Jul 2012, 16:45

Tulonsae wrote:Hmm... That's not a fact. Asi did not say the god of the bible in his original post. And Jake did not say god of the bible in his response.

Whenever someone says God, capitalized, they usually mean the god of the bible.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 04 Jul 2012, 16:50

697134002 wrote:
Tulonsae wrote:Hmm... That's not a fact. Asi did not say the god of the bible in his original post. And Jake did not say god of the bible in his response.

And yet another atheist who betrays his very western ways of thinking....
--Tulonsae

Post by 697134002 » 04 Jul 2012, 16:54

Tulonsae wrote:
697134002 wrote:

And yet another atheist who betrays his very western ways of thinking....
God has specific connotations. god refers to a deity.
Asi used the capitalized version. And most people here are from countries with a "western way of thinking." Assumptions can be made based on the fact that everyone reading what you type will know what you mean.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 04 Jul 2012, 16:59

@697,

Consistency is a good thing. Either assumptions are ok or they aren't. If other people use assumptions and you tell them to use facts then don't be surprised when they question your use of assumptions.

Since this now seems like an argument for the sake of arguing, rather than understanding, I will bow out. You and I disagree, and I think that just about sums it up.

I still appreciate the discussion, tho.
--Tulonsae

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 04 Jul 2012, 17:43

Holy hell you're both arguing semantics.

Just say you're antitheist and it solves this, as being an antitheist means you accept that people believe in a god, but think they're wrong, so have a place to comment on said god. :-p

Bo3wais

Post by Bo3wais » 01 Jan 2013, 15:29

Because to us atheists, 'God', is an idea; we believe he exists in your head, and we're judging fore-mentioned idea based on books and the idea's 'followers'. :)