Photography

Need help or advice on things not related to Minecraft? Ask away here!
EricSmarties

Photography

Post by EricSmarties » 19 May 2011, 14:21

Anyone here does Photography for a hobby or job?
Im looking to buy a good SLR camera and i just dont know which one!
Please help if you have sugggestions
thank you.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Photography

Post by SneakyPie » 19 May 2011, 14:24

For my job I occasionally have to play photographer, but I know nothing about cameras except the one I use for work is over $2,000.

I will say that an artist's tools don't make a good artist.

You don't need a fancy, expensive camera to take good photos. If you're good at photography, you will be fine with any camera. If you suck, no amount of money or equipment will help you.

Something to keep in mind.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 19 May 2011, 14:35

I recommend you put all the pictures in black and white, and take really edgy photos of everyday items, like garden gnomes, or a newspaper.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 19 May 2011, 14:40

SneakyPie wrote: I will say that an artist's tools don't make a good artist.
This ^^^
We had inductions for the college photography studios when I first joined. I got to use a very nice looking digital SLR (far from the best, they save those for people who know what they're doing, but definately better than anything I'd ever used personally). Two 6 hour sessions later I learned a valuable lesson:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The staff here are all trolls

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 19 May 2011, 14:51

SneakyPie wrote:For my job I occasionally have to play photographer, but I know nothing about cameras except the one I use for work is over $2,000.

I will say that an artist's tools don't make a good artist.

You don't need a fancy, expensive camera to take good photos. If you're good at photography, you will be fine with any camera. If you suck, no amount of money or equipment will help you.

Something to keep in mind.
i have been doing quite alot of photography and im not a begginer i just want to learn a bit more about manual photography and such and my digi cam isnt that great but thanks anyways :)

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 19 May 2011, 20:49

Ever used a SLR before? What do you know about camera's and photography?

If you are new to the game i would not suggest buying one right away. They can be expensive and to pull of some nice shots like macro's and panaramas it would be advised to get other lenses and equipment. Also SLR are focused on manual input. It will be fine on auto but you can do so much more.

I say, if you are new buy a good $2OO normal digital camera. This would be easy to use on Auto and as you gain confidence you can switch to manual and start playing with overexposure, focusing and all that jazz.

If you already now ur shit, but want to make the move to SLR but is worried get a combo one. It allows for auto use but has the potential for good manual effects. However as its not a true SLR it will not all there.

In terms of brands i say canon, they have good shit and it lasts a lifetime. Also pay a bit more for a good lense, you will notice the diff in quailty, as well as a filter for the lense so it does not cost $5OO if you get dust into it.

That said, this is just information that i told customers bout two years ago in oz, but my info was taken from a srs photographer, she was nuts over it. Hope it helps

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 21 May 2011, 04:29

Blackadder51 wrote:Ever used a SLR before? What do you know about camera's and photography?

If you are new to the game i would not suggest buying one right away. They can be expensive and to pull of some nice shots like macro's and panaramas it would be advised to get other lenses and equipment. Also SLR are focused on manual input. It will be fine on auto but you can do so much more.

I say, if you are new buy a good $2OO normal digital camera. This would be easy to use on Auto and as you gain confidence you can switch to manual and start playing with overexposure, focusing and all that jazz.

If you already now ur shit, but want to make the move to SLR but is worried get a combo one. It allows for auto use but has the potential for good manual effects. However as its not a true SLR it will not all there.

In terms of brands i say canon, they have good shit and it lasts a lifetime. Also pay a bit more for a good lense, you will notice the diff in quailty, as well as a filter for the lense so it does not cost $5OO if you get dust into it.

That said, this is just information that i told customers bout two years ago in oz, but my info was taken from a srs photographer, she was nuts over it. Hope it helps

thanks Black :D

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 21 May 2011, 05:56

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 22 May 2011, 09:13

Here are some pictures i took and edited.
I love photography and would really want to get a job in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 30 May 2011, 09:32

My mother is a photographer, and I try sometimes. She would tell me to tell you that it doesn't matter what camera you use, just as long as you can take pictures. She tested this by taking disposable cameras on a photo shoot(I end up with a lot of pictures of myself from her) and everything look good.

But that might not help much with choice. I have her old camera, it is a Sony A200 (the A on the camera is an alpha symbol. So it might be called an Alpha 200) And it works fine, and it is a mid-range camera. Sort of old, but I know someone who still uses 30mm film.. So, you pick, I recommend something mid-range like this one.

Edit:
I actually asked her, she said that this was a pretty good response, but learn to shoot the camera in full manual mode. Otherwise you are a cheater.

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 30 May 2011, 12:43

Im thinking of just putting a bit more money on and going maybe with the nikon d5000. the sony looks good and its cheap but im getting one which i will be using for a LONG while if you know i dont have that much money to buy a new camera lets say every year or 2 years :\ thanks though bro.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 30 May 2011, 16:53

Do not go sony.

If they still are suing there own version of the SD card. I forgot what it was but its not a normal one and is a bitch to move to computers. I have heard good things about the D5000