HALP!

Need help or advice on things not related to Minecraft? Ask away here!
SUZZY_NINJA

HALP!

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 28 May 2011, 22:32

Halp!

Im having a hard time deciding i3 or i5.

Im getting a new computer, and i want to know, which one is better to get?

At the moment, im looking at a iMac 27 inch, with 3.2 Ghz, but i3.

OR. iMac 2.7 Ghz but i5.

The prices are for i3: $1898 US

i5: $2022.69

Thats probably the most expensive ill go, p.s if possible, could someone tell me the difference between i3 and i5? xD. (Im not planning on getting i7 though) I dun get the internet Jargon about the differences :P

Re: HALP!

Post by 697134002 » 28 May 2011, 22:39

A quick google search showed me that i3 is barely any different from i5 except for processor power.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

SUZZY_NINJA

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 28 May 2011, 23:20

Hm, so..Do you think i should get the 27 inch instead of 21?

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 29 May 2011, 00:22

i3 uses 2 processes.

i5 uses 2 process, but the computer things that It uses 4. Therefore the i5 is a quad core in all terms.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 29 May 2011, 02:15

Lolmac.

Personally, I think you should get a PC. For $2000, you can easily get an i7 if you go with Windows.

Krye

Post by Krye » 29 May 2011, 03:19

IMO don't waste $2000 on a mac just so you can be trendy.

SUZZY_NINJA

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 29 May 2011, 05:40

But Mac's look really sexy <3

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 May 2011, 05:50

SUZZY_NINJA wrote:But Mac's look really sexy <3
and PC's look even better!
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 29 May 2011, 05:55

Macs all look the same, at least PCs have some variety.

i5 > i3 but for for $2k you should be aiming higher.
The staff here are all trolls

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 29 May 2011, 06:39

SUZZY_NINJA wrote:But Mac's look really sexy <3
This is where I stopped reading.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 29 May 2011, 06:52

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 29 May 2011, 07:16

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 29 May 2011, 08:08

mydrox wrote:Image
A winnar is you. That describes it perfectly xD
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

Tomenaki
Retired

Post by Tomenaki » 29 May 2011, 09:30

If you're going to shell out that much cash, get the i7 and build your own desktop... it's cheaper and definitely gives you more bang for your buck. I really don't suggest getting a mac though, and this coming from someone who has used both Mac and Windows. PC is far more capable, user-friendly, flexible, and just overall more useful than any Mac I've seen or worked with.

SUZZY_NINJA

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 29 May 2011, 14:46

I WOULD, build my own PC, but...

a. Im quite a nub at building Pc's
b. Dun haz the time.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 29 May 2011, 15:11

It takes roughly an hour to build a computer.

Krye

Post by Krye » 29 May 2011, 15:38

That picture is pretty accurate, Mac users are children with too much money to spend that like shiny toys

Tomenaki
Retired

Post by Tomenaki » 29 May 2011, 17:13

SUZZY_NINJA wrote:I WOULD, build my own PC, but...

a. Im quite a nub at building Pc's
b. Dun haz the time.
SneakyPie wrote:It takes roughly an hour to build a computer.
Exactly. And if I of all people can build one, you can. It's all pretty much snap-in stuff for building a computer. All you need is a good case for it all.

The_Fuzz22

Post by The_Fuzz22 » 29 May 2011, 17:41

There's this brilliant article somewhere comparing the process of choosing a Mac and its features on their site and just getting the exact same parts yourself and building a PC.
Mac massively (and I mean DISPROPORTIONATELY) overcharge for almost every piece of hardware and even software. If you want Microsoft Office included, they'll charge you around $200 more than it would cost you to just go out and buy it in a shop and install it yourself.

It just makes no sense to waste your money like that. Go cheaper with a PC, it'll afford you the same stuff and you'll have a hefty lump of cash left over.
Last edited by The_Fuzz22 on 29 May 2011, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Shouting "teabag him" during any death-scene in Saving Private Ryan is a practice generally frowned upon.
My Thoughts on How Crap the World is
My Music

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 29 May 2011, 20:33

I have all 3 types of OS's, plus a few other server os's thrown in, and as you might have guessed, I know my way around a computer or two.

I love my mac, its a great piece of hardware, and you can't beat the OS, OSX is a great piece of work, based off of FreeBSD, one of the most secure Unixes you'll find. Also, our webserver runs on FreeBSD, FYI.

If you can afford a mac and if you don't know anything about securing your computer, its perfect. You don't have to worry about anti anything, no spyware, viruses or anything.

Before anyone starts trying to say a Mac is more expensive, they really aren't, when you start comparing exact hardware specs, and while sure, you can build a cheaper pc, than the cheapest mac, but again, you have to compare exact hardware specs against each other. I've built a lot of PC's in my lifetime, and you get what you pay for, if you buy cheap crap, thats exactly what you'll have.

If you want a challenge, build you a pc, or buy one, and install linux on it, learn to use it. Just as secure as an apple and you'll learn a lot more.

Take this all for what its worth, a bit of friendly advice.

Tomenaki
Retired

Post by Tomenaki » 29 May 2011, 22:21

wokka1 wrote: If you can afford a mac and if you don't know anything about securing your computer, its perfect. You don't have to worry about anti anything, no spyware, viruses or anything.
That would be because no one makes those kinds of things to attack Macs.... seeing as like 90% of the population uses PC. lol

SUZZY_NINJA

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 29 May 2011, 23:33

I think the main problem with this conversation we just had, was that the "Pc Fan boys" as such, are way too wound up in your self centered ego. Jesus christ, I didnt ask for this huge troll war, and this un neccecary riff raff of mac or pc. I understand that you can get better pc computers, but im getting iMac for a damn reason. I mean, im not the type of guy to play insane games, on insane high graphics so it doesnt concern me on which specs are better (Yes, so dont even bring this "i7" bullshit up). Im getting it for the High resolution screen, along side with the sleek uni body design. If you have a problem with this then..GTFO. oh, and i think Pc needs to learn to accept there are going to be competitors against them. I mean, jesus christ grow up, actually this goes for both parties. I search up iMac reviews, and scroll down to the comments and theres this huge troll war going on by ignorant people, who cant accept anything related. e.g "TROLL MACS ARE GAY TROLL"

Post by 697134002 » 29 May 2011, 23:37

SUZZY_NINJA wrote:I think the main problem with this conversation we just had, was that the "Pc Fan boys" as such, are way too wound up in your self centered ego. Jesus christ, I didnt ask for this huge troll war, and this un neccecary riff raff of mac or pc. I understand that you can get better pc computers, but im getting iMac for a damn reason. I mean, im not the type of guy to play insane games, on insane high graphics so it doesnt concern me on which specs are better (Yes, so dont even bring this "i7" bullshit up). Im getting it for the High resolution screen, along side with the sleek uni body design. If you have a problem with this then..GTFO. oh, and i think Pc needs to learn to accept there are going to be competitors against them. I mean, jesus christ grow up, actually this goes for both parties. I search up iMac reviews, and scroll down to the comments and theres this huge troll war going on by ignorant people, who cant accept anything related. e.g "TROLL MACS ARE GAY TROLL"
THANK you.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 29 May 2011, 23:56

Fucking hell mate, you wanted an opinion you got it. Compared to the trolling that would have happened on other sites this is nothing and with the kind suggestion to GTFO after calling most of us elitists I for one is not very impressed.

Spend your 2k however you want, but personaly I wouldnt go for a new OS because of the case and screen. I would go with the programs that can be used for it and its specs. Like some of the more nicer arty stuff i have seen comes from a mac but for more of a gaming machine i would stick to PC.

Spent with your brain not your gut.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

The_Fuzz22

Post by The_Fuzz22 » 29 May 2011, 23:58

SUZZY_NINJA wrote:I think the main problem with this conversation we just had, was that the "Pc Fan boys" as such, are way too wound up in your self centered ego. Jesus christ, I didnt ask for this huge troll war, and this un neccecary riff raff of mac or pc. I understand that you can get better pc computers, but im getting iMac for a damn reason. I mean, im not the type of guy to play insane games, on insane high graphics so it doesnt concern me on which specs are better (Yes, so dont even bring this "i7" bullshit up). Im getting it for the High resolution screen, along side with the sleek uni body design. If you have a problem with this then..GTFO. oh, and i think Pc needs to learn to accept there are going to be competitors against them. I mean, jesus christ grow up, actually this goes for both parties. I search up iMac reviews, and scroll down to the comments and theres this huge troll war going on by ignorant people, who cant accept anything related. e.g "TROLL MACS ARE GAY TROLL"
Easy tiger, far as I could tell everyone here was just trying to be helpful in their own way.
As far as I can tell, nobody called you an idiot or outright insulted your decision, they just imparted their personal experience and tried to offer you an alternative they felt you may not have thought of... Which is way better than you can expect from posting this topic in your average PC users forum.

Despite you latest assertion of your decision I still feel the reasons you're giving wouldn't be good enough for myself personally if I was arguing with them. But that's just me, I'd favour spare money over the inflated sense of self-worth from buying a what is percieved to be a superior product in a market where there is, in reality, very little variation between the performances of machines with similar specs.
Shouting "teabag him" during any death-scene in Saving Private Ryan is a practice generally frowned upon.
My Thoughts on How Crap the World is
My Music

SUZZY_NINJA

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 30 May 2011, 03:17

Sorry for my previous post, but long day, and i iz mad.

Anyway, ive decided to hold off for a couple month's and save another grand or so. Upgrade to top specs. i7, y'knw. Im going to be using the computer for education purposes as well, so id rather spend a good amount of money for a nice computer. (In my opinion) Id also enjoy trying out OSX, never actually owned a computer with OS X running on it.

Again sincerely sorry for my previous rage post, long day. Hope you guys understand

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 30 May 2011, 06:32

Just out of curiousity; what kind of things are you planning on using it for that requires such a beefy rig? It's definately overkill if you're just gonna be typing up essays and surfing the net on it. Since you've said you have no interest in using it for gaming, I was just wondering if that means you need it for something like 3D modelling or video rendering.
The staff here are all trolls

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 30 May 2011, 07:58

Jake55778 wrote:Just out of curiousity; what kind of things are you planning on using it for that requires such a beefy rig? It's definately overkill if you're just gonna be typing up essays and surfing the net on it. Since you've said you have no interest in using it for gaming, I was just wondering if that means you need it for something like 3D modelling or video rendering.
My guess is that she's planning to hack into the worlds nuclear defense systems and cause a nuclear winter
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 30 May 2011, 10:49

Despite the unnecessary rage post, Suzzy's right.

They requested a recommendation between two different Macs - unless that's what you're offering, you don't have much business in this thread.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people care so much what type of computer someone they don't know is using.

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

SUZZY_NINJA

Post by SUZZY_NINJA » 30 May 2011, 14:56

*He. *sigh* Y U NO UNDERSTAND I BOY? xD.

No, but i do a lot of video editing, and photoshop work. Plus, coding. and, so i just want a computer which can do me all these things, looks good and can run Minecraft. y'know?