Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Need help or advice on things not related to Minecraft? Ask away here!
aflycon
Retired

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post by aflycon » 04 Sep 2011, 21:36

Hi guys. Anyone know what to do about PTSD? I won't go into detail about what I experienced but it's definitely affecting me. I need some help.

Thanks,
- Afly

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Re: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 04 Sep 2011, 22:07

...play Minecraft?
:|

Post by 697134002 » 04 Sep 2011, 22:19

According to my sources[1], visit a psychologist[2] or a doctor for treatment[3] or medication.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 04 Sep 2011, 22:54

I'm with you. Find a counselor who specializes in PTSD. I worked with one for several months, and it has made a huge difference. She taught me exercises to do and it's helped a lot.

Daily medication was helpful for a time, also, kind of a "reset". I also have medication in case I have a full blown panic attack, but those don't happen so much these days. I find that if I am eating healthy and getting enough sleep and keeping my life in order i do a lot better.

There were key events that happened in my life during which time I required daily meds - even "good" things - changes really anything that changes the norm. Also be aware of your triggers. Sometimes the triggers don't make any sense at all...a good therapist will help you identify and work through triggers.

Another thing that helps a lot is keeping a journal.

Learning to breathe is important. Try taking a slow breath through your nose then blow forcefully but slowly (making a sound...) out of your mouth and do it 9 times. I've gotten so good at this that people around me aren't even aware I'm doing it. I've also taught this technique to my kids, it's an excellent way to calm down. Do the whole 9 breathes and you'll be surprised how well it works.

I am not a therapist, this is just advice from someone who has to deal with PTSD and Anxiety/Panic Disorder.

Escape is important but can easily become an addiction, hence, the "keeping my life in order" requirement because if things get the least bit out of control in my personal life or responsibilities I'll have a panic attack, yuck... I play Minecraft or whatever game i"m doing at the moment, and it is awesome for escape.

Many PTSD sufferers become drug addicts etc. that's self medicating ... because as a PTSD sufferer, you DO need medication and / or treatment - it requires treatment just as a diabetic requires insulin, if you intend to rise above it and live a full life.

If you get the nightmares symptom then it's effecting your sleep, I highly recommend seeing a doc and getting medication that knocks out the anxiety so you can learn to sleep without nightmares.

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to cover everything that has helped me so maybe you can try some of these things.

good luck to you

I

admire

your

bravery

to

and ask for advice!
Last edited by MayorLennie on 04 Sep 2011, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 04 Sep 2011, 22:58

P.S. the other thing is get a good diagnosis, if you haven't. You might have some of the symptoms but not all the symptoms or all of the time, etc. you might have anxiety disorder or panic disorder or even depression...get diagnosed properly. and failing to get treatment can lead to other disorders as well, just an FYI. Best of luck.
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 04 Sep 2011, 23:18

Paragraphs are your friend! ._.
It helps because then you don't have a wall of text.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 04 Sep 2011, 23:20

Great advice, thanks! - Fixed! :)

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 05 Sep 2011, 06:54

Try and find someone who you can talk to about what you experienced. If someone else experienced something similar, or even the same thing, you can help each other.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

ShadowedLucario

Post by ShadowedLucario » 25 Sep 2011, 08:21

afly, along with the therapy and medication described by the others above, just try not to think about it at all.
I may have watched som rated r horror movies when i was 8 and that scared the living **** out of me. So my advice is try to forget it ever happened, just like i did with the movies.... well... most the movies anyway. And if this doesnt help much im really sorry that my advice couldnt help
Every time I boot up escapecraft, this happens...

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 25 Sep 2011, 09:47

ShadowedLucario wrote:afly, along with the therapy and medication described by the others above, just try not to think about it at all.
I may have watched som rated r horror movies when i was 8 and that scared the living **** out of me. So my advice is try to forget it ever happened, just like i did with the movies.... well... most the movies anyway. And if this doesnt help much im really sorry that my advice couldnt help
That sounds like the completely opposite of every advice I've ever read, I'm pretty sure the idea is to confront it to prove that it was one specific isolated instance, and that whatever is causing the stress is 99% of the time perfectly fine or whatever.

Obviously you have to do it progressively, if you're afraid of spiders don't throw yourself in a pit of spiders right off the bat; slowly work your way up in stages so that you eventually get to the edge of the pit. And get pushed in.

Post by 697134002 » 25 Sep 2011, 11:31

Aenir_bEPU wrote:
ShadowedLucario wrote:afly, along with the therapy and medication described by the others above, just try not to think about it at all.
That sounds like the completely opposite of every advice I've ever read, I'm pretty sure the idea is to confront it to prove that it was one specific isolated instance, and that whatever is causing the stress is 99% of the time perfectly fine or whatever.

Obviously you have to do it progressively, if you're afraid of spiders don't throw yourself in a pit of spiders right off the bat; slowly work your way up in stages so that you eventually get to the edge of the pit. And get pushed in.
I think EVERYONE is afraid of being pushed into a pit of spiders...
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Rock Beefchest
Site Contributor

Post by Rock Beefchest » 13 Oct 2011, 15:13

aflycon,

I have some of those types of problems from my time in the Navy. If you want to talk about it at all let me know. There is no easy answer. Everyone deals with it differently. Alot of the advice you are getting here applies to getting over phobias or other fears thats is not what PTSD is. I will not go into detail here because this is not the forum but if you want private message me and we can discuss it in detail.

Rock Beefchest

Rock Beefchest
Site Contributor

Post by Rock Beefchest » 13 Oct 2011, 15:15

That said mayors advice is pretty good.