GFWL

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

GFWL

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 10 Jul 2011, 19:51

I finally had to deal with Games For Windows Live in an attempt to play Arkham Asylum, which I bought during the summer sale.

I hate it and I want it to die.

It is intrusive, it is irritating, it linked me to the dinosaur that is Internet Explorer rather than just open a tab in Google Chrome, which was already bloody open, and worst of all, it won't let my play my damn game.

aflycon
Retired

Re: GFWL

Post by aflycon » 10 Jul 2011, 19:58

Steam.

That is all.

But in all seriousness, I had bad experiences with Games for Windows Live too - anything having to do with Windows, actually. Especially the damn Messenger.. mother of God was that terrible. I think you should just cut your losses at whatever you paid for the game, and uninstall GFWL.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 10 Jul 2011, 20:09

If Steam is the video game distribution equivalent of Christ, GFWL is the Anti-Christ.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 10 Jul 2011, 20:10

I bought the game via Steam (and I love Steam), it just happens that I need to use GFWL in order to play the game.

After taking years to download a profile it didn't need to, it seems it's actually allowing me to play.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 10 Jul 2011, 20:13

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I bought the game via Steam (and I love Steam), it just happens that I need to use GFWL in order to play the game.

After taking years to download a profile it didn't need to, it seems it's actually allowing me to play.
Well that's blasphemy. You should just be able to get it off of Steam and load it up.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 10 Jul 2011, 20:15

Had the same shit for GTA and flatout 2. Just make an acct, otherwise you cant save.

Also its so stupid to have 2 vertifers. I got you from steam why do i have to go though another bloody thing with another god acct with a service i hate to no end !

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 10 Jul 2011, 20:23

I'm able to at least launch GTAIV without Games for Windows Live; my graphics card needs to be adjusted before I can play though. I'm steering clear of that whole program.

Tsukianei

Post by Tsukianei » 11 Jul 2011, 20:52

Say what you will about it, but this is why I pirate games. DRM just kills it for me. If I download a game and like it enough, I always buy it. No questions asked, if I like a game, I buy it no matter the cost. However, I'll keep playing my pirated copy, and just buy it off Steam. That way, I don't have to deal with DRM. I can keep playing my game, and I technically own it.

However, if I pirate a game and I don't like it, I uninstall it and never think of it again. No sales are lost because of me. I just want to play my damn games without DRM screwing me over. I payed for a video game, not the latest copy of "Screw PC Gamers 3". -_____-
I'm not running away; I'm advancing in reverse.
ImageImage

Zehydra

Post by Zehydra » 11 Jul 2011, 21:51

Tsukianei wrote:Say what you will about it, but this is why I pirate games. DRM just kills it for me. If I download a game and like it enough, I always buy it. No questions asked, if I like a game, I buy it no matter the cost. However, I'll keep playing my pirated copy, and just buy it off Steam. That way, I don't have to deal with DRM. I can keep playing my game, and I technically own it.

However, if I pirate a game and I don't like it, I uninstall it and never think of it again. No sales are lost because of me. I just want to play my damn games without DRM screwing me over. I payed for a video game, not the latest copy of "Screw PC Gamers 3". -_____-
Actually, yes, there is a "lost sale" (although not technically), because when people legitimately buy a game and don't like it, they still spent money on it.

I hate pirates, but hell at least you're the best kind of pirate.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 11 Jul 2011, 22:13

You hate Keira Knightley?! D:

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Tsukianei

Post by Tsukianei » 11 Jul 2011, 22:23

Zehydra wrote:
Tsukianei wrote:Say what you will about it, but this is why I pirate games. DRM just kills it for me. If I download a game and like it enough, I always buy it. No questions asked, if I like a game, I buy it no matter the cost. However, I'll keep playing my pirated copy, and just buy it off Steam. That way, I don't have to deal with DRM. I can keep playing my game, and I technically own it.

Actually, yes, there is a "lost sale" (although not technically), because when people legitimately buy a game and don't like it, they still spent money on it.

I hate pirates, but hell at least you're the best kind of pirate.
I hate the pirates that never buy anything. They'll pirate games they love simply because they don't want to pay for it. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't, I uninstall it. The only sales that are lost from me are the sales of the games I didn't like. But I would rather not buy a game, decide I hate it, and lose my money and not be able to get it back.

That's the worst feeling in the world. =[

But yes, BlackAdder, Kira Knightly is one fine woman. >=D
I'm not running away; I'm advancing in reverse.
ImageImage

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 11 Jul 2011, 22:43

I actually agree with this, but I never download games unless they are from the Genesis or something. That or if I already bought it, then lost the disc.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 12 Jul 2011, 00:36

If I were intelligent enough, I would most likely follow this system as well. However, I'm not, so.. Steam.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 12 Jul 2011, 06:29

ah you poor PC gamers and your DRM. im so glad my PS3 has none :lol:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 12 Jul 2011, 06:47

vallorn wrote:ah you poor PC gamers and your DRM. im so glad my PS3 has none :lol:
Yea... and the play station network is just soooo reliable.

Edit:

And believe it or not, GFWL is better than it used to be. Though I still tend to think it should die in fire. My first experience with it was after buying either one of the GTA or Warhammer games, and attempting to play it - only to be told that GFWL needs to update. Sure - click yes... and the entire program promptly crashes to desktop. So great job, GFWL - your self-updater crashes. And this wasn't just my experience. Other friends had the same problem, and we finally had to manually upgrade GFWL.

But in general, GFWL is horrible. I think PC Gamer magazine did a top ten worst things in pc gaming a year of so back... GFWL was at the top of the list.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 12 Jul 2011, 08:57

I haven't had any major issues with GWFL. One of my friends had a problem trying to play multiplayer in Dawn of War 2, however. GWFL would take so long to get him into a game that he would time out and disconnect on any but the lowest graphics settings. When the GFWL-less DoW 2: Retribution came out, the problem went away.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 14 Jul 2011, 02:58

Heh, DoW2. Still not as good as DoW1 in my opinion. I like the more "classic" style or RTS, with base building and stuff. I actually never had issues with GFWL. Guess I'm oneof the lucky ones.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 14 Jul 2011, 03:43

GFW screwd up for me and my modding in Fallout 3 and New Vegas... so I killed them damn thing
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

Reaper_456

Post by Reaper_456 » 22 Jul 2011, 00:00

Yeah some serious hate for GFWL and Steam. Dont like them both, Steam you need to be online to start that game up for the first time, GFWL oh you cant upgrade to the newest version because you dont have XP SP3. All these problems because we who purchase games should be punished for those who pirate music, videos, games, software and make money.
But this isnt a thread about pirating its about slamming GFWL, and making it die a horrible death. Of which I am all for!

I'll even bring snacks!
Possible thread killer?