Spoilers: Your opinions please!

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Wildwill002

Spoilers: Your opinions please!

Post by Wildwill002 » 16 Nov 2012, 18:15

What is your opinion on spoilers of games before either getting the game or completing it? Are you the sort of person that ignores anything to do with the game aside from the adverts until you get it or do you check the wiki the second you consider getting the game?

For me, every game I've got until now I've checked out all the story etc and the wiki if possible but I ain't seen so much of a whiff of Borderlands 2 since it's release which will be a new experience since I should get it on monday
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

vallorn

Re: Spoilers: Your opinions please!

Post by vallorn » 16 Nov 2012, 19:29

I dont mind spoilers at all.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 16 Nov 2012, 19:45

val, winter is coming. "spoilers!"

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 17 Nov 2012, 00:42

How much I care about spoilers usually depends on the reactions/comments of others. If I hear that "this game has a big twist you won't see coming" or "that game really has to be played rather than watched" then I'll avoid spoilering myself - which generally isn't too difficult since most people aren't jerks. For instance, one game that springs to mind in recent memory is Red Dead Redemption, in which (ending spoiler below, if you ever plan to play it then do yourself a favour and don't read it)
Spoiler! :
not knowing that the main character dies at the end of the game, especially when the game starts to "wind down" after John returns to his family, is a big shock, and leaves the rest of the game feeling rather more sombre and reflective. If I'd know how the story ended, then I'd have been constantly expecting that moment to come and not be at all surprised when it did.
A recent game that really must be played, not simply observed (and I would highly recommend you go play it, it's fantastic) is Telltale's The Walking Dead game. Sure, the game is one big story full of surprises and thus is heavily spoilerific anyway, but your choices largely determine the outcome of many events in the game, and having these choices sprung on you without warning is - to me at least - far more entertaining than having watched someone make these choices before and thus pre-determined how you're going to play the game.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 17 Nov 2012, 08:38

In general, if I -know- I will be buying it, I will avoid spoilers. If I'm undecided/not planning on buying it, I don't avoid them so much.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 17 Nov 2012, 11:28

I don't care about spoilers at all really. Story is probably one of the things I care the least about, I just want some fun gameplay to occupy my time.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

minnerthecat
Retired

Post by minnerthecat » 17 Nov 2012, 11:53

If there's a game coming out that I'm interested in, I'll try to look up the features and gameplay mechanics but I try to avoid anything about the plot.
Orange and white, but not quite right.