750$ to fix at Apple, 185$ to fix at home.

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
Laptop_mini
Retired

750$ to fix at Apple, 185$ to fix at home.

Post by Laptop_mini » 12 Jul 2011, 20:55

macbookrebuild.JPG
It took me 2hr and only 185$ to replace the whole front plate of my Macbook, when the Apple Store was asking me for 750$. I can say I saved 565$...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Re: 750$ to fix at Apple, 185$ to fix at home.

Post by Jake55778 » 12 Jul 2011, 21:09

Maybe it's just because it's 3am here and I haven't thought this through... but that looks like a lot more spare pieces left over than I'd expect from just sawpping a broken screen. Obviously you have the old screen sitting in the top left, but then you have what looks like two chassis/motherboards down the bottom. Why is there a hdd sitting on the left? I assume that black box is a battery, but I've no idea what that is just above it, and is that fan from the CPU cooling setup? Why would you need to take that out? Oh an there's the piece of circuitboard in the top left. I can't tell what it is from this angle, but it looks superfluous too.

Now I'm just tired and confused over stuff that shouldn't bother me :cry:

Well congrats on fixing your laptop.
The staff here are all trolls

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 12 Jul 2011, 21:25

The screen you see there is fine.

I spilled some water on the keyboard, so I had to change the whole lower part of my Macbook. The left one is broken, the right one is brand new. That picture was taken when I took it all apart, and was down to the swapping of the 2 parts.

To fix it, I basically had to empty out the whole computer, and rebuild it inside the other case. It wasn't difficult as it might sound, thanks to apple's compact designs.

That black macbook is just a computer I had around. I was fixing my Macbook Pro.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 13 Jul 2011, 19:11

Well then that picture is just full of trolling. >_<