Art thread

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
Cpt_Harlock
Site Contributor

Re: Art thread

Post by Cpt_Harlock » 07 Oct 2011, 01:22

Thanks man. Yea I'm not that great at straight pencil drawings. I like to do it but I can't make anything great. I love oil pastels cause you can set the color down and then blend them together with your hand. I think it's just cause I like creating stuff with my hands more than drawing/painting.

I need to get some more and start doing it again...

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 07 Oct 2011, 11:44

Here are some more pictures i took :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XxGhOsTxReCoNxX
Retired

Post by XxGhOsTxReCoNxX » 07 Oct 2011, 12:41

SOme are from InstaGram :)

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » 07 Oct 2011, 14:03

Okay, I just spent about half an hour trying to post some of my artwork in this thread, and between the pixel limit on linked images and my post with attachments not wanting to post I'm about ready to slit the forum's throat.

So, that said, I'm just going to point you towards the deviantART link my signature. I'm a portrait photographer, to there be portraits.

~V

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 08 Oct 2011, 14:27

Vanguard wrote:Okay, I just spent about half an hour trying to post some of my artwork in this thread, and between the pixel limit on linked images and my post with attachments not wanting to post I'm about ready to slit the forum's throat.

So, that said, I'm just going to point you towards the deviantART link my signature. I'm a portrait photographer, to there be portraits.

~V
Your pictures are breathtaking! :)

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 08 Oct 2011, 14:35

Not bad vanguard. Not bad.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 11 Oct 2011, 09:35

I'm designing a Mage character at the moment for college. I've pretty much determined the look I'd like for him, and have just been trying out subtle variations. Any feedback on which elements work/don't work would be apreciated before I start the turnaround (front/side/back T-poses for modelling reference).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The staff here are all trolls

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 11 Oct 2011, 14:34

The third one along looks best in my opinion. You should put the 4 elements hovering around him :D

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 11 Oct 2011, 16:53

I agree, the third one is the best.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 11 Oct 2011, 17:03

im a fan of number 4 personaly
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 11 Oct 2011, 17:26

2 Floats my boat.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 13 Oct 2011, 15:37

I went with a mix of 3 and 4.

Cpt_Harlock
Site Contributor

Post by Cpt_Harlock » 13 Oct 2011, 16:06

Always a good choice =)

I was going to say 3 also, but I seem to have gotten here too late lol.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 17 Oct 2011, 13:33

More character stuff for college.

Character info
Spoiler! :
Name: “The Hermit Guardian” (Tao Shishi)

Backstory:

The hermit lives in an ancient tower in the Himalayas. The Castle was built millenia ago, after a period of intense warfare, to contain all magic and seal it away from mankind. One guardian at a time protects the tower, sometimes for centuries, until a worth successor appears to replace them. The area around the castle imbues anyone receptive to magic with long live and incredible power, allowing the guardian to safeguard the tower from any threats. However the guardian is also bound to the tower, unable to leave.

Physical Description:

Average height, medium build, long dark hair in a braid. Wears Chinese style clothing contemporary with the era he arrived at the castle (~4th century AD). He also wears various trinkets scavenged from travellers who have ventured up the mountain; these vary from a few pieces of ancient armour to modern accessories like toothbrushes and a mobile phone. Not grasping the subtleties of technology after centuries of isolation, he simply uses them as decoration upon his staff.

Character Traits:

Adventurous, eccentric, and with a keen sense of humour. He knows his own power and rarely misses an opportunity to show it off.He’s also lonely, trapped by the castle he is charged to protect he rarely encounters other humans. Instead he often summons various magical creatures to entertain himself.

Family Background:

Unknown. He was delivered to the castle as a child and was raised and trained by the former guardian. Summoning magical creatures.

Habits/Vices:

Playing tricks/pranks on lost travellers.Collecting scraps of the outside world.

Education:

His magical training was never fully completed. However the vast energy supplied to him while within the castle grounds allows him to cast powerful spells, and has even enabled him to develop a few unique ones of his own over the years.

Personality:

Outgoing, friendly, mischievous, a show off, arrogant

Practical jokes, flying, travel (unable).

Dislikes:

Responsibility, studying, cleaning the tower

What is their goal?

To find someone with enough magical potential to replace him as the guardian of the tower.

Their plan to achieve goal

Confront everyone who ventures near the castle with magical illusions of some kind. If they can see through the enchantment then invite them up to the tower to test their potential further.

I don't suppose anybody would be interested in trying to help me voice act this guy? I haven't started working on sound design yet, but it'd be nice to have a few lines of dialogue for him.
Last edited by Jake55778 on 20 Oct 2011, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 17 Oct 2011, 13:35

Ooooh.... I like the dragon spell. I like dragons.

Archuskii

Post by Archuskii » 05 Nov 2011, 17:17

Iron_Fang's commission.
c:

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 05 Nov 2011, 17:25

Here's something quick I did a few weeks back.
I don't often do fan art, but I think DBZ had a really cool style. Plus it's fun to try and make something look "powerful". You get to play with harsh lighting and abuse the colour dodge brush :)

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 05 Nov 2011, 17:46

Jake55778 wrote:Here's something quick I did a few weeks back.
I don't often do fan art, but I think DBZ had a really cool style. Plus it's fun to try and make something look "powerful". You get to play with harsh lighting and abuse the colour dodge brush :)
There's not nearly enough rocks being lifted into the air. And he needs to be yelling at the top of his lungs.

Archuskii

Post by Archuskii » 05 Nov 2011, 17:49

Another wolf, this one has a long neck. .-.
c:

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 05 Nov 2011, 18:26

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Cu ... rXFqEP1MX4
top row, 2nd one :)
and something like this wolf please http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=space+ ... r:18,s:186 :D
also excellent work on the other 2 :)

Archuskii

Post by Archuskii » 05 Nov 2011, 18:45

All done.
c:

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 05 Nov 2011, 18:56

these are epic, thanks alot :)

luke2006

Post by luke2006 » 05 Nov 2011, 19:30

So, I was scribbling out an outline in Paint, and then it looked pretty sweet. So I added some more details, transferred this to GIMP, and coloured it in on a layer beneath the outlines. Turned out pretty well, though drawing with the mouse is a biatch. True story.

Archuskii

Post by Archuskii » 05 Nov 2011, 22:26

My beautiful ponies.
@ Vallorn: I forgot what kind of alicorn you wanted. So I drew a simple one with the cutie mark. :(
@ Hydro: it was too ugly. :cry:
c:

UndeadJesus

Post by UndeadJesus » 06 Nov 2011, 02:29

Jake55778 wrote:More character stuff for college.

Character info
Spoiler! :
Name: “The Hermit Guardian” (Tao Shishi)

Backstory:

The hermit lives in an ancient tower in the Himalayas. The Castle was built millenia ago, after a period of intense warfare, to contain all magic and seal it away from mankind. One guardian at a time protects the tower, sometimes for centuries, until a worth successor appears to replace them. The area around the castle imbues anyone receptive to magic with long live and incredible power, allowing the guardian to safeguard the tower from any threats. However the guardian is also bound to the tower, unable to leave.

Physical Description:

Average height, medium build, long dark hair in a braid. Wears Chinese style clothing contemporary with the era he arrived at the castle (~4th century AD). He also wears various trinkets scavenged from travellers who have ventured up the mountain; these vary from a few pieces of ancient armour to modern accessories like toothbrushes and a mobile phone. Not grasping the subtleties of technology after centuries of isolation, he simply uses them as decoration upon his staff.

Character Traits:

Adventurous, eccentric, and with a keen sense of humour. He knows his own power and rarely misses an opportunity to show it off.He’s also lonely, trapped by the castle he is charged to protect he rarely encounters other humans. Instead he often summons various magical creatures to entertain himself.

Family Background:

Unknown. He was delivered to the castle as a child and was raised and trained by the former guardian. Summoning magical creatures.

Habits/Vices:

Playing tricks/pranks on lost travellers.Collecting scraps of the outside world.

Education:

His magical training was never fully completed. However the vast energy supplied to him while within the castle grounds allows him to cast powerful spells, and has even enabled him to develop a few unique ones of his own over the years.

Personality:

Outgoing, friendly, mischievous, a show off, arrogant

Practical jokes, flying, travel (unable).

Dislikes:

Responsibility, studying, cleaning the tower

What is their goal?

To find someone with enough magical potential to replace him as the guardian of the tower.

Their plan to achieve goal

Confront everyone who ventures near the castle with magical illusions of some kind. If they can see through the enchantment then invite them up to the tower to test their potential further.

I don't suppose anybody would be interested in trying to help me voice act this guy? I haven't started working on sound design yet, but it'd be nice to have a few lines of dialogue for him.
I wish you did champion designs for League of Legends.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Nov 2011, 06:40

that is awesome! thanks! :D
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 06 Nov 2011, 15:05

luke2006 wrote:Image

So, I was scribbling out an outline in Paint, and then it looked pretty sweet. So I added some more details, transferred this to GIMP, and coloured it in on a layer beneath the outlines. Turned out pretty well, though drawing with the mouse is a biatch. True story.
That's pretty sweet. Have you tried sketching something out and scanning it into GIMP?

luke2006

Post by luke2006 » 07 Nov 2011, 00:19

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:
luke2006 wrote:Image

That's pretty sweet. Have you tried sketching something out and scanning it into GIMP?
No, I haven't. Might be worth a try! Don't know what to draw, however :S Probably more robots. Though I feel like an 8 year old if I just draw robots and space ships haha

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 07 Nov 2011, 01:33

Don't worry about it. I draw mechs and dragons.

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 09 Nov 2011, 15:14

My own work, basically upscaling a crappy videocap and redrawing it.
http://i.imgur.com/4LPuA.png