Teffa's first HTML/CSS coding~

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
TessieWessie

Teffa's first HTML/CSS coding~

Post by TessieWessie » 03 Feb 2013, 23:55

ehehe, i feel so proud! :3

haha, so i just completed the most basic level of HTML/CSS coding and bear in mind this is my first time doing anything like this but can i please has feedback?

Bleach Blonde Baking- (basically it's a kids code helping website, and our programming teacher set it so we'd all be up to speed, and i think i'm the first to finish the HTML/CSS section... and i've never done anything like this before... >.>)
I AM A PANDA. YOU SHALL OBEY MY EVERY RULE BECAUSE I AM A PANDA, EVERYTHING ELSE IS IRRELEVANT.

vallorn

Re: Teffa's first HTML/CSS coding~

Post by vallorn » 04 Feb 2013, 00:05

Good job on learning how to code Tessa. I think some of our Admins are experienced with HTML so if you need help asking them might be a good idea (Oh and we could always use more coders on staff :D )
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

minnerthecat
Retired

Post by minnerthecat » 04 Feb 2013, 00:14

Very nice indeed! The layout looks fantastic and very professional! Certainly better then the first time I ever tried using HTML, keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll do great things!
Orange and white, but not quite right.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 04 Feb 2013, 00:18

Nice! I've started dabbling in html a bit too by swimming through code in tumblr blogs, but I definitely wish I had a class at my school where they taught html :/ most we have is this guy who teaches java (sorta, 90% of the time we are positive he doesn't know what he is doing), but that's the most we have. Oh and if you have any questions that the admins don't know the answer to (probably wouldn't happen, they know a freaking ton of stuff), shoot me the question and I'll ask my brother who has designed multiple websites from scratch. Oh! And do yall use a site like w3schools at all, cause if so could I see it >.>

EDIT:
minnerthecat wrote:Very nice indeed! The layout looks fantastic and very professional! Certainly better then the first time I ever tried using HTML, keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll do great things!
No one shall ever see my first attempt... it was a pathetic fail at everything in the universe...
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

TessieWessie

Post by TessieWessie » 04 Feb 2013, 01:05

LS13 wrote:Oh! And do yall use a site like w3schools at all, cause if so could I see it >.>
Well, the website we're using is Code Avengers It seems like it's aimed at kids, but it teaches the basics quite well...
I AM A PANDA. YOU SHALL OBEY MY EVERY RULE BECAUSE I AM A PANDA, EVERYTHING ELSE IS IRRELEVANT.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 04 Feb 2013, 01:25

TessieWessie wrote:Well, the website we're using is Code Avengers It seems like it's aimed at kids, but it teaches the basics quite well...
Hmm, looks interesting I'll take a look :D

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 04 Feb 2013, 07:11

Looks great, I have just started dabbling in html/css coding as well, not as far as you >.>
But I guess I should throw out the side I use for learning it.
Easy to understand, but just a warning, seems like it have a few problems with Opera, one of the courses did not recognize that I was done.
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 04 Feb 2013, 07:40

TessieWessie wrote: Well, the website we're using is Code Avengers It seems like it's aimed at kids, but it teaches the basics quite well...
Thanks, soo much. I have started messing around with my coding on my blog and now this site will help me a lot. Thank you :D
-asi1998
~John 3:16

minnerthecat
Retired

Post by minnerthecat » 04 Feb 2013, 09:24

TessieWessie wrote:
LS13 wrote:Oh! And do yall use a site like w3schools at all, cause if so could I see it >.>
Well, the website we're using is Code Avengers It seems like it's aimed at kids, but it teaches the basics quite well...
Hytro wrote:Looks great, I have just started dabbling in html/css coding as well, not as far as you >.>
But I guess I should throw out the side I use for learning it.
Easy to understand, but just a warning, seems like it have a few problems with Opera, one of the courses did not recognize that I was done.
I've bookmarked both of these for future reference, thanks guys! :) HTML is a useful skill to have and I hope to re-learn it once I've got the basics of C programming down.
Orange and white, but not quite right.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 04 Feb 2013, 18:16

DaemonLee wrote: Ah, it's always nice to see the youngins get in to C. Seems Java and any of the Visuals are more popular lately but then again C is such a low level language I'm not surprised.
My brother knows a bit of c but its alien to me :s i know almost no one at my high school that knows it, even our competitive programming team only cares about java which is a shame...

TessieWessie

Post by TessieWessie » 04 Feb 2013, 18:56

DaemonLee wrote: Also very nice layout there Tessie! :D
Why thank you~ ^w^

Thanks everyone for the feedback and sites! :3

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 04 Feb 2013, 20:24

Can you make me a website about whales? nothing very complicated, just a picture of a whale and some words regarding them. :3

TessieWessie

Post by TessieWessie » 05 Feb 2013, 05:27

MrWhales wrote:Can you make me a website about whales? nothing very complicated, just a picture of a whale and some words regarding them. :3
Me? I could try... But it won't be fabulous... What would you like as a look, like "techie" or uh... "girlie" or whatever style?

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 05 Feb 2013, 11:25

TessieWessie wrote:
MrWhales wrote:Can you make me a website about whales? nothing very complicated, just a picture of a whale and some words regarding them. :3
Me? I could try... But it won't be fabulous... What would you like as a look, like "techie" or uh... "girlie" or whatever style?
He wants a "girli whaly# look.
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

TessieWessie

Post by TessieWessie » 05 Feb 2013, 16:05

Hytro wrote:
TessieWessie wrote:
Duh, thats so hot right now. #trending

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 05 Feb 2013, 21:38

TessieWessie wrote:
Hytro wrote:
TessieWessie wrote:
Whatever you feel like ms teflon. Up to you, I just want the whale

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 06 Feb 2013, 02:36

Can't focus..... On thread.... Must...... Obey...... Panda

TessieWessie

Post by TessieWessie » 07 Feb 2013, 13:11

MrWhales wrote:
TessieWessie wrote:
Hytro wrote:
Whatever you feel like ms teflon. Up to you, I just want the whale
Erm, what would you like it to say - uh like facts or habits and stuff? And is there a particular picture?
iron_fang wrote:Can't focus..... On thread.... Must...... Obey...... Panda
Fufufufu. Get me a life sized chocolate statue of Tom Felton. xD

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 07 Feb 2013, 20:37

Just a picture or two, if you find something cool about them(I think there's quite a bit cool about them) then put it in :) otherwise just a picture and some little humor. Thanks tessie

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 10 Feb 2013, 10:15

Hytro, that codeacademy thing is great. I've done a bit on the Javascript course and a bit on the Python course, it's all well explained and it's fun at the same time because of the quirky presentation/ wording. Try it if you haven't, other people! :P
"My ship! My booty! My collection of autographed sextants! All gone!"
-Guybrush Threepwood
"I'm the pizza delivery dude! The dude with the food!"
-Pepper Roni

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 28 Mar 2013, 23:32

Well done, coding can be very fun and/or infuriating at the same time.

One thing I have to say, and it's exact same as daemon, the contrast of the text and background is a bit too low, and difficult to see on a bright monitor.

Other then that it's pretty cool, keep it up :)

http://colorschemedesigner.com/ is a rather nice tool to figure out colors that work well with each other.

This link: http://colorschemedesigner.com/#0M11Taiw0w0w0 is the one for the background color of your site, you can play around with the dials near the top to see various colors that can work well.

quick example using the right hand colors from color scheme designer: