Sᴛᴇᴠᴇ's Qᴜᴇsᴛ: ᴀ Mɪɴᴇᴄʀᴀғᴛ Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Sᴛᴇᴠᴇ's Qᴜᴇsᴛ: ᴀ Mɪɴᴇᴄʀᴀғᴛ Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

Post by haxxorzd00d » 07 Jun 2013, 07:31

Today I'm bored and I feel like writing something. The Artifact is too complex, and The Infernal Tower is too limiting. So here's a light-hearted little piece about a certain Steve.

Steve's Quest!
Chapter I

Amnesia is a common cliché in storytelling these days. The lone hero with no memory of his current circumstances striking out on an epic adventure to uncover his misplaced past, usually the result of a shady government agency or some other contrived McGuffin. No doubt he’d been betrayed by one of his dearest companions over the course of a thrilling tale riddled with conflict and tragedy.
      The man recalled this particular trope as he awoke on a solitary sandbar, gentle waves lapping at his shoes. Of course, he couldn't possibly know – nor would he ever know – that his memory had not been taken from him, nor smashed to smithereens in some disastrous incident. Rather, he had none. He had simply popped into existence one fine Tuesday afternoon, pre-programmed with the minimum knowledge required to make a go of it in whatever godforsaken wilderness he now found himself in.
      He stood up and brushed the clean white sand from his clothes – a scruffy teal t-shirt, inexplicably torn and stained, a pair of weather-worn blue jeans, and some scuffed grey shoes. He wasn't quite sure where this clothing had come from; in fact, he really wasn't sure of anything at all. There was but a single compulsion in the man’s mind – find a tree. Precisely what he’d do when he found it was beyond him, but as his eyes swept across the rolling hills and lush, swaying grasslands in his immediate vicinity, he felt a certain sense of purpose. Despite having woken up in the arse-end of nowhere with no idea how he got there, the man was positively brimming with energy. He took a few determined steps forward, and began a quite deliberate trek in no particular direction in search of wood.

As he wandered across the great sweeping plains, clambering up grassy knolls and slipping down gentle inclines dotted with pretty red and yellow flowers, he reflected on his own existence. Who was he, and how had he ended up in this lonely place? What, for that matter, was his name? Tim? No, that didn't sound right. Graham, maybe? No, definitely not. What about Steve? Somehow, that name felt right. Perhaps he was growing delirious from the gleaming midday sun overhead baking his sand-dusted scalp, but he was sure his name was Steve. If not, it was at least a suitable moniker to announce himself as, should he happen across any semblance of civilization.
      Steve was growing a little weary of travelling beneath the parching sun when he spotted a few sparse trees, looming from the distant haze atop a rocky outcropping. As he approached the cliffs, they seemed to rise higher and higher, as if mocking his feeble efforts. Though he was beginning to grow hungry, and scaling this intimidating cliff face with its sharp, jutting chunks of stone and tumbling gravel clumps would surely drain his endurance, Steve knew that those trees were somehow vital to his survival. A quick glance skyward told him night would fall soon. He wasn't sure why, but he didn't want to be out on the ground when it did. He gritted his teeth and began to climb the hilly mass of grass and rock, clambering up inclines and stepped terrain with nimble hops. Shortly before sunset, he had found his way into the comforting shade of a few stalwart oaks.

To be continued...

Please contribute to Steve's grand adventure! Suggest things you'd like to see in the story and I'll take your ideas on board.

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Re: Sᴛᴇᴠᴇ's Qᴜᴇsᴛ: ᴀ Mɪɴᴇᴄʀᴀғᴛ Aᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ

Post by RobipodSupreme » 07 Jun 2013, 14:33

Will he progress through the game, with the continuing compulsions? Killing endermen, collecting their pearls, going to the nether, then End, etc.?
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 07 Jun 2013, 15:26

RobipodSupreme wrote:Will he progress through the game, with the continuing compulsions? Killing endermen, collecting their pearls, going to the nether, then End, etc.?
That's the plan.

...Or is it? What Steve gets up to will depend on how complex I can be bothered to make the plot. Maybe he'll meet other people! You can of course contribute your own ideas.

Spyboticsguy

Post by Spyboticsguy » 19 Jun 2013, 17:47

Build a wood house shaped like 'wood.'